LAN / TAM merger approved

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

There is a condition though: the new group to leave either OneWorld or StarAlliance. Which one do you think they will keep? I guess the negotiations are intensive given the fact that for either of the alliances it would be a blow loosing their only South American partner…

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think Oneworld as AA links with Lan are very deep, and Lan is the main partner of the two (LAN & TAM) I believe. Also Star WILL have a presence in South America as Avianca-Taca and also Copa of Panama will be joining.

Avianca also has a small operation in Brazil, but not nearly the size of GOL or TAM or even Azul.

travelworld
    Participant

Oneworld will hope so. It has a bit of a track record is losing members….Canadian, Aer Lingus, Mexicana (OK, it’s still a member but it doesn’t actually fly..) Plus member elect Kingfisher has its own problems….

Hippocampus
    Participant

It’s more likely than not to be Oneworld. LATAM can’t be in the same alliance as AV/TA which is in the process of joining *A.

transtraxman
    Participant

Maybe you are right that LATAM will fall into the lap of “oneworld” where it will have a bigger presence than just TAM in Star Alliance.
    The consequence would be that TAP would not be taken over (nor permitted to be taken over) by any airline in “oneworld”.

When Skyteam decided that Aerolineas Argentinas could join their alliance that put the dampers on LATAM joining their alliance.

The only alternative is if the VIRGIN group decides to form another alliance with the three components , ATLANTIC, AUSTRALIA and AMERICA. Here you have Virgin Australia as the most active, signing agreements with ETIHAD and SINGAPORE. The addition of LATAM would be a major boost to forming such a meaningful worldwide alliance. The addition of BMI would then become more meaningful.

Let us see what develops.

Hippocampus
    Participant

transtaxman – With respect, a cursory glance at the combined coverage by Virgin America, Atlantic and Australia of Latin America makes clear the chances of LATAM joining an alliance that doesn’t even exist yet.

This is Oneworld’s to lose.

transtraxman
    Participant

The point is ….Are the Virgins talking? If they are not then what is the reason to have the same name except to fill BransonĀ“s pockets?

The Virgins together with Etihad and Singapore could well be an interesting alliance for LATAM. There it would be a very big partner. But yet again this is only my opinion of the reasoning behind all the talk and codeshares being signed.

LeTigre
    Participant

The Virgin Group is talking- Richard Branson has said an announcement regarding which alliance VA will join is imminent while Virgin Australia have said that star alliance is what they will join but when is the question.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Richard Branson has been saying an announcement is imminent about Virgin Atlantic joining an alliance for the past six months!

As Virgin Australia co-operate with Delta, Singapore Airlines and Etihad, their alliance membership hardly looks certain either.

RichHI1
    Participant

I hope it is 1w not for LAn which sucks but TAM which I love. TAM was an AA partner but they switched as the AA FFB redemption rates were too high. I know a lot of Brazilians who will be unhappy if they do switch as LH is a popular line with Paulistas and Cariocas alike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls