KLM not taking the full route

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

I know BA are clamping down on it a little, but I wondered if anyone has any experience with KLM and not taking the final sector / getting bags off.

My routing is:
    FCO – AMS – GIG
    GIG – AMS – not FCO (EDI)

If I do this above back to EDI the fare jumps £1500.00…..nope, I can hardly believe it either. So my idea is to simply book to FCO return but tell the check-in agent to only check my luggage to AMS as my plans have changed then hop on an EDI economy which I can get for £100.00….saving me £1400.00 and flying long haul on the same aircraft.

Any advise gratefully received.
    Regards.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Actually, upon looking again I can take BA on a shiny new 787 with the new Business class……

So, same question – FCO – FCO but asking for my bags at LHR, will they check them ONLY to LHR upon my request?

Thanks.
    AOTG.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Why not make the final sector LGW to FCO so you will have to collect your bags at LHR. Alternatively return to VCE from LGW

1 user thanked author for this post.

Edski777
    Participant

Just claim a stopover in AMS on the way back. Quite sure KLM will grant you that and indeed take the AMS – EDI flight. Forget about the AMS – FCO part or use it at a later date.

MarcusGB
    Participant

KLM are certainly getting tighter on these unused tickets, being very clear on unused Sectors. It is all in the Booking conditions, and carriage /fare requirements, so you have to agree to these before you book.

This is increasingly being applied according to the specific booking categories where the country is a point of origin, other than their hub, or you travelling in or out of, as they clearly have vastly different fares, and specific fare rules for many Business Class tickets included.
    The only option is to take a stopover, even if it is days or weeks after, so that they do not have the automatic fare note to charge your original card for the 2 one way tickets, which they are able to do so. You will not be travelling with the intention of purchasing a complete return, which the sub booking class is based on.

Alex, and many BT Forum discussions covered this issue over many Years, and they have the full right to do so, as you fail your part of the flight Contract.
    KLM and AF are certainly applying this now more often.

first_class_please
    Participant

Best option is to book an overnight / less than 24 hour stopover, that way the airline will not insist on checking luggage to final destination, which they could do otherwise.

Or, as mentioned above, if using BA, either do an overnight or book a LGW departure which forces you to collect luggage.

christopheL
    Participant

Another option could be to follow the rules 🙂
    Time is money for many travelers. That’s why some businessmen are traveling in private jets rather than legacy airlines. That’s why other businessmen are ready to pay more to have a direct flight rather than connections flights.
    That’s why people travelling business are upset when people travelling economy use the fast track lane when boarding.
    In today’s world, money is money and a penny is a penny either to maximize a profit or to reduce a loss. Just pay for what you really need or take your red flag and make the revolution.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=924238]Another option could be to follow the rules 🙂

Time is money for many travelers. That’s why some businessmen are traveling in private jets rather than legacy airlines. That’s why other businessmen are ready to pay more to have a direct flight rather than connections flights.

That’s why people travelling business are upset when people travelling economy use the fast track lane when boarding.

In today’s world, money is money and a penny is a penny either to maximize a profit or to reduce a loss. Just pay for what you really need or take your red flag and make the revolution.[/quote]

How delightfully unhelpful that is. I had no idea having run a successful business for over 17 years that time was money…..wonderful.

One of the reasons my business continues to thrive is because I won’t pay £3500.00 for a flight I can get for £1900.00 by simply using a different airport. Of course I can afford the additional fare, but last time I checked both BA and KLM were making a ton more money than I.

Follow the rules….honestly, these “rules” only exist to suit the airline, not the consumer.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[quote quote=924079]The only option is to take a stopover, even if it is days or weeks after, so that they do not have the automatic fare note to charge your original card for the 2 one way tickets, which they are able to do so. You will not be travelling with the intention of purchasing a complete return, which the sub booking class is based on.[/quote]

Thanks for this Marcus, certainly a couple of nights ‘layover’ would tend to work out ok. Follow on question, if I book the BA flights into / out of LHR, and then book a connection to EDI when my flight actually lands, this would still work ok?

Example:
    – 1st May FCO – LHR – GIG
    – 14th May GIG – LHR
    – 20th May LHR – FCO (erroneous)
    – 14th May LHR – EDI

I think I might just take the risk and let BA pursue me if they want to….I’m not really keen to pay an additional 80% of the fare I could be paying.

Rgds…
    AOTG.

SimonS1
    Participant

The fan boys on FT get lathered up with it but reality is no-one has yet come up with a case of a direct booking on ba.com where the traveller has been penalised.

I agree with the advice earlier….book the final leg on a flight from LGW and then get off home.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

If you frequently fly to GIG, and can plan ahead, why not book the last leg of this booking around a date when you will most likely start another FCO > GIG trip. You can separately book LHR > EDI 14th May, returning to LHR to match the final LHR > FCO sector. No possibility of comeback then, and LHR > EDI return is probably very similar to a 1 way

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls