KLIA how bad is it really ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Kopite
    Participant

For the past 20 years I’ve been using KLIA quite frequently and always found it a pleasant airport. Sure certain things don’t work very efficiently but, that’s just Malaysia as a whole experience.

I haven’t been to KLIA now for 4 years +. But I want to use it as a transit hub from my home base to other international cities, to my end destination. (See my BT post Start Your Journey from Somewhere Else)

I’m now reading horrendous reports on the internet about the physical condition of the terminals (hardware) such as most F&B outlets are still closed, cracked tiles, poor lighting, internal trains not working for transfer to the terminal from the satellite gates etc etc and the message is “avoid KLIA if you possibly can”.

Also the (software) doesn’t work – huge queues at immigration for foreign passport holders etc.

Can anyone comment on this please? What is the experience at KLIA really like? How is it for transit customers like me that need to exit through immigration and customs and re-check in for a different flight ?

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Hi Kopite. I spent a week in KL in Jun, traveling from HK with CX. On arrival at KLIA, the shuttle trains are no longer running. Everyone is directed to the replacement buses. These only leave when they are full, and take you to immigration. Immigration was a nightmare for foreigners, multiple queues, mine took 2 hours (arrived at 17.30 on a Saturday). Needless to say, luggage was waiting for me, stacked next to the luggage belt

Departing 1 week later, no queue at CX check-in, for any classes. Dreading immigration, but no queue, walked straight up to a desk. Still using buses to replace the shuttle trains, this appears to be a long term solution. CX use the main Malaysia Airlines lounge, which was fine and quiet. Reasonable selection of hot and cold food. Small bar near the entrance.

Security checks at the entrance to the gate, no queues or issues. Boarding and departure on time. Hope this helps.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Andy McF
    Participant

Hey Kopite –

I’ve passed through KLIA 3 times this year, and twice last – and lived in KL for 8 years pre-pandemic.

When you say, quite rightly, “certain things don’t work very efficiently”, then turn the dial up a little more from what you recall and you’ll be on the money.

As mentioned above, the terminal shuttle train is completely gone for the mid-term it would seem, and replaced by city buses; everything is a few years older and less maintained; and yes, there are fewer airline lounges (replaced by Plaza Premium’s often way beyond capacity) and slightly fewer F&B outlets. Otherwise, it’s all exactly as you’d remember.

Notwithstanding the above, immigration isn’t usually that bad – there’s foreigner desks stretching all the way off to the left. Confusingly, one queue serves 4 – 5 desks, so you should pick the queue that seems to be fronted by the most manned desks. I encountered a 20-minute queue last time, nothing the time before that, and 5 minutes the previous time. 2022, admittedly, it was a disaster zone and they seemed very ill prepared for the resurgence of visitors.

Arrival customs sometimes enforces checked luggage x-ray for all, or based on origin, or not at all – depending on the mood it’d seem.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I did comment on this and Malaysia Airlines in a different thread.
    I have been through KLIA 2 months ago, i stayed in KUL in Feb, and am doing the same as a stopover in a few days time.So this will be my 5th use this year then my return later.

I am sorry to say what is reported is accurate. There are very few lounges left, and the Golden Lounge and Plaza Premium are very crowded. The Malaysia Airlines GL is used my several airlines, including KLM and AF outside of the One World.
    I was transferring to a Garuda flight from KLM, so there was confusion there and i was sent by bus, from the Satellite to the Plaza lounge. There was one small open plan cafe in the middle of the Satellite Terminal, and one indoor cafe where the old Plaza Lounge used to be.
    I could not even buy a coffee at a cafe, as none were open, all that was there was a “street food bike” with a filer coffee pot behind!

There are few retail shops open either, so i would say now around 80% is closed off from what there was.
    More flights are directed to the former Domestic terminal to make it a Regional one.
    Malaysia Airlines were featuring more cancelled flights, including mine, so i had a 4.5hr wait just for a hop on Garuda into Indonesia.
    they have fewer flights to Australia than Air Asia these days.

I am not sure of the Air Asia Terminal, which grew from being a warehouse looking place, to now about half of the airport on one side. But i am told it is busy but i have chosen a Business seat down to Australia with them, so will get to see how this goes in a few weeks time.
    Interestingly the Seat plans on my A333, featured 6 rows not 2, so these have been expanded! I am not sure if these will be new aircraft of existing with adjusted cabins.

But the Airport is down at heal, certainly far fewer Airlines serving the Airport, or the frequency, and the demand for flights has clearly not picked up, compared to Singapore, which is heaving busy in all terminals, which i went through on return about 2 weeks ago.

Jakarta is somewhere in between, busier, but not what it was, also with reduced eateries Air-Side, and the Garuda Skyteam lounge in the new Garuda main Terminal was atrocious!
    Food that was supposed to be hot was left open and just sitting cold and in a disgusting state. Alcohol was hidden, with staff sitting on the floor behind the mini bar, the rest of the food no one was eating, plastic wrapped processed food sandwiches, pot noodles, and a poor cheap set of juices and soft drinks.
    There was no supervision there, no one seemed to care, and it is Not what it was when the terminal first opened.
    I left after 5 minutes and went to buy my food from one of the few open Cafes, with a decent Barista coffee and toasted ciabatta.

So i cannot see a demand in Kuala Lumpur hotels either apart from Malaysians having times in the City, and maybe some Asianic regional travellers. There are very few European or Australian travellers going through now.

Sad to see, but what others have written really is true. Go prepared in terms of food and drink and don’t expect many facilities to be still there!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls