Killed off by the LoCo’s

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I think Immingham was earlier in the eighties. Tor Line from Immingham to Gothenburg was bought out by DFDS and they moved ops to Harwich. Also in the early eighties was Stena Line Tilbury to Gothenburg, it was marketed as I recall as “The Londoner”.

Smaller Ports did have cargo/freight ships that also took a few pax, such as from Felixstowe, Immingham and Ipswich to various continental and baltic ports. I understand you can still sail as a PAX on freighters carrying timber/newsprint from Immingham to Finland.

rjhcambs
    Participant

Mr Michael
    For 2015 you list Newcastle-Stavanger. I had heard rumours of its re-introduction but has it started and if so which line??
    Big dog
    I also looked at the Immingham cargo route about 3 years ago from Langesund in eastern Norway but apart from taking very few passengers (6 I think) It took five days as you said, going via Gothenburg and Holland(?).

MrMichael
    Participant

My understanding, and it is just rumours in the shipping industry is that Fjordline are going to introduce for summer 2015 Stavanger/Newcastle and Stavanger/Aberdeen. They are considering dropping the Hirtshalls/Stavanger (keeping weekends only) and the Stavanger/Bergen and thus would have the spare tonnage to introduce such a service using that vessel on the route. I do not know the vessel, and am not convinced it is suitable for 18/24 hour crossings, but lets see. I can certainly see the Stavanger/Aberdeen doing well with freight in support of the oil industry, but as it will be a short season Easter through September we will have to see.

Worth remembering this is just rumour, and the industry strives on rumour, false info and general poker play when it comes to routes and tonnage.

rjhcambs
    Participant

Mr Michael
    Coincidently there is a new tweet on seat61.com today suggesting that reginaline.dk is going to start Harwich -Esbjerg thrice weekly from next Easter.

MartinJ
    Participant

Isn’t it ironic that environmental laws kill the very ferry services that reduce overall CO2 emissions by offering an alternative to flights?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls