Kenya Airways to make London double-daily

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I know that some of you visit Kenya and elsewhere in the region so I thought this news would be of interest.

The extra flights are effective from end October.

https://citizen.digital/business/kq-increases-weekly-flights-to-london-n328279

I don’t know from where KQ is obtaining these extra Heathrow slots.

The airline made history some years ago when it received the record price of US$75 million from Oman Air for a single slot pair.

Initially KQ was leasing its Heathrow slot from KLM but has that situation changed today ?

Kenya Airways sells its only Heathrow slot

3 users thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

We will be flying Accra to Nairobi in a couple of weeks. First time on Kenyan since the pandemic and that was only short hops between Accra and Freetown/Monrovia. They wanted a silly price for business class though, so will be braving economy for the 4-5 hour flight. Hopefully the 10 days in the Masai Mara and Mombassa will be worth it – I am sure they will.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Very interesting this and just goes to show the demand there is for access to east, central and southern Africa.

But I bet ET are envious – they had applied to go double daily at LHR but could not and so applied for LGW slots.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SenatorGold
    Participant

From recollection, this a return to their London schedule of a few years ago.

MarkivJ
    Participant

wake up oneworld!!!!

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

David, They fly the 737 on the West African routes, better that you pay a little bit extra and get either emergency or bulkhead seats, it will be make your life easier. The food offering should be ok. If you need anything while you are in Kenya, please let me know.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flight schedules from Aeroroutes.com

They cover the period November 19 to 25. Some times could vary on other dates.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230928-kqnw23lhr

cwoodward
    Participant

I believe that the slot is leased from Brussels Airlines but I am not certain.
    The the ex LHR schedule timings are odd also as they differ for almost every day of the week which may indicate that there is more than one leased slot in play.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

CrazyCanuck – many thanks. I have bulkhead seats reserved but have also put in a bid for an upgrade and for ‘middle seat free’. We will see what happens!

We just have 2 stopovers in Nairobi. If you are around on Thursday 19th (our last night) we’ll be at the Sarova Panafric from late afternoon onwards. More than happy to share a beer!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Took your advice CrazyCanuck. I bid for an upgrade and they just confirmed. So at least we should be in a reasonable state on arrival in Nairobi on Monday. Tuesday’s flight on a small twin-prop to the Maasai Mara could be a bit more cramped though. Keekorok Airsrip sounds fun!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls