Journey Times Cut as North Pole Opens Up

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Aviation authorities have given approval for twin-jet passenger aircraft to route over the North Pole – great for 777 and 787 dreamliners

Improvements in aircraft technology and safety has removed the restriction for twin-jet aircraft routes to keep it within 3 hours of an airport for emergency diversion.

London to west coast US shortened with south pacific islands direct opened up.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/airlines-cleared-to-use-santas-shortcut-6281263.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2078301/Mind-sleigh-Airlines-given-permission-fly-North-Pole-time-slashing-hours-exotic-destinations.html

Bucksnet
    Participant

This is just an extension of ETOPS. Does not affect 4 engine planes which are able to fly anywhere.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes, but I believe the 787 has a longer range than the 747 so this could open up some long distance routes to non stop travel.

Probably sounds silly, but I like a stop or two en route, even if it means a few extra hours in the air. Gives time for some fresh air and to stretch the legs, but I acknowledge I’m probably by myself on this one!

first_class_please
    Participant

As long as they don’t delay Santa tonight…..

watersz
    Participant

dont you just love that guy from NORAD command centre that goes live on u.s tv tracking him inbound like an ICBM

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For those who want to follow Santa.

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/

HonestCrew
    Participant

Having experienced the ‘code brown’ situation of losing an engine on a 777 over the ocean, two hours from a possible place to land, the thought of being FIVE hours away from terra firma actually gets to me.

Those two hours felt like a lifetime!

On the plus side, they were the quietest two hours of my life, people asked for nothing and some were worried to leave their seats.

The thought of flying five hours with only one engine between us and the pearly gates is not one I’d like to have, even if it means we can fly direct to sodding Tahiti.

RichHI1
    Participant

I believe this is Santa’s last year in Europe. The number of reindeer are not compliant with the ETS legislation, also not all presents are wrapped in metric sizes and some gifts do not have every european language on the packaging. As a result Euro Claus will start next year. Euro claus will in fact be a committee and Christmas will be moved to July to save energy on the mulled wine. Also so that Turkey, Syria and Lebanon can gain Eu membership, the Turkish origin on Euro Claus will be officially recognized.
    As a shorthaul EU only service it may well be twin reindeer operated.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one Rich. Happy Christmas to one and all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls