Johannesburg Airport experiences

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

basrabob
    Participant

I have just come back from South Africa , and a couple of pointers to help others make sure their journey is a bit smoother than the one I had.

If your luggage is unfortunate to come out on belts 7-10, then be prepared for a challenge to try and find the belts. The signage for these belts is appalling, basically as you enter the baggage hall, go past belts 1-6 , then turn sharp left, they are behind a long wall , they then lead directly out to customs.

Also when boarding a flight, be aware that all the boarding takes place down the gangways, rather than at the gate holding area. If you are transferring flights it is a very long walk to the transfer desks.

When they redesigned the airport, more moving walkways would definitely have been an advantage, however, compared to the old airport it is definitely an improvement.

Also if you are wanting to do VAT reclaim, don’t make the mistake that I did of trying to do it at JNB, when your flight originates from somewhere else within SA- you have to do it at the point of embarkation!

maxgeorge
    Participant

Going up to the departure level in the Domestic terminal, skip the escalator ramps and use the lift.

Or even the stairs.

Those ramps are a series of switchbacks more repetetive than a Gordon Brown speech.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls