JFK Hotel advice needed

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Hallo all. I may need to make a trip to USA soon. Sadly not business or “pleasure” but to maybe give support to help a family member with something not pleasant.

But looking at an option to get a flight into JFK on AA/BA and then connecting to a flight the following morning, likely on AA.

So am wondering if there was a hotel bolted on to Terminal 8, or one very near. I guess there are multiple hotels around the airport but am suspicious of websites with hotels claiming to be near an airport or terminal when they are very not, or have an unreliable or infrequent shuttle bus.

If any of you have any suggestions this would be very much appreciated.

CheerUp
    Participant

TWA probably best bet – and the nostalgia factor if that’s of interest.

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think the TWA Hotel is a destination in its own right! Is that very near to Terminal 8? Would love to stay there but when I have time to get the most out of it.

On this visit may want to use or earn points however so hopefully IHG/Marriott/Hilton/Accor.

MarkCymru
    Participant

The TWA hotel is what used to be terminal 5. If JFK weren’t so unwalkbale, you could walk it in 10 minutes. It’s 2 stops on the monorail that runs between terminals. I’ve stayed at the TWA hotel: it’s comfortable and an amazing nostalgia trip, albeit a bit disorganised and quite expensive. If you get a decent price, that’s your choice. Everything else requires a shuttle.

I have a Diamond Card and still the Hilton is just awful — that vile American habit of putting a duvet between two sheets (and, obviously, the duvet isn’t cleaned between guests making you effectively sleep in the last guest’s bedding , with whatever visitors they left behind). I think I remember the Garden Inn being OK, but I’m not sure. Since you’re taking a bus anyway, I’d just pick whatever’s cheapest or where you most need points

stevescoots
    Participant

for an overnight I agree TWA, stayed there a few times now. easy to get from terminal to terminal on the monotrain

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Another shout out for the TWA hotel.

JFK is a sprawling airport and with no hotel shuttle buses offering terminal pick ups you’re really left with the choice of:

Taking the air train to the designated stop and waiting for your airport hotel shuttle bus. And the same in reverse on your return. (It’s a very similar set up at EWR too).
    For a late evening arrival and early morning departure some may considered this fairly time consuming and a bit of a faff.

If you are ok to a pay what could be a fair bit more and not collect a major hotel groups’s points, IMHO, the TWA is a no-brainer.

The other option would be to take a taxi / Uber / Lyft from your arrival terminal to any hotel of your choosing and same on reverse. Overall this may cost more than option 1, likely less than option 2. It should certainly be less of a faff.

Finally, fly out of LGA in the am and take a taxi etc to a hotel close to LGA after landing at JFK. (AA have a fair few flights out of LGA).

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls