Italy’s FS launches luxury ‘Treni Turistica’

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Chris Ogilvy is a retired UK rail manager. This afternoon he tweeted photos of what must be Europe’s best restored mainline trains which date back decades.

The TEEs ran throughout mainland Europe many years ago. Each nation had its own TEE version but the Italian TEEs were probably superior to them all.

Details of the launch date and the routes this restored TEE will serve will be unveiled shortly.

twitter.com/Ogilvie_CJ/status/1683496777721212930

8 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Would this be a result of a highly subsidised rail system ?

cwoodward
    Participant

Subsidised or not it looks to be a very good offering and one on which I would like to travel

2 users thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

GWR’s Pullman Dining on selected trains to the West Country is very good. The last proper restaurant car service on scheduled trains in GB.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I had thought more definite information would have been released by the Italians.

But it will happen at some stage as FS is committed to running these special trains for high-end tourists.

He tweets “Today’s train, in various combinations of carriages suited to trips from Rome-alps. No dates or website obviously.”

For the past couple of years FS has been operating special heritage trains for tourists. But, sadly, these have so far been promoted only to the Italian market. Nothing to stop anyone buying a ticket but you have to know when they operate.

Perhaps the most impressive of these is these is the Settebello which is a 1950s era mainline train.

Passengers are able to sit up front in a zone underneath the driver’s compartment.

In 2022 vlogger Paul Lucas took a ride on this train from Milan to Venice.

His twitter thread shows the Settebello and its restored interior.

Alessandro
    Participant

Up to now these trains were operated by Trenitalia (part of the FS group too) which also pulled and had a train manager on the Venice Simplon Orient Express in Italian territory (this has been transferred to FS Treni Turistici Italiani too).

Now with this new company within the FS group hopefully these trains will increase.

Trenitalia launched a monthly Rome to Pompei train which could become weekly, maybe it will be transferred to FS Treni Turistici Italiani

There is a company advert here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIr1RfSQJ_8&pp=ygUSZnMgdHJlbmkgdHVyaXN0aWNp

AMcWhirter
    Participant

“Trenitalia launched a monthly Rome to Pompei train which could become weekly.”

Indeed following demand this special train will become weekly from August 6.

FS news [IT]

https://www.fsnews.it/it/focus-on/servizi/2023/7/18/frecciarossa-roma-pompei-partenza-ogni-domenica.html

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I thought I would provide an update.

Chris Ogilvy is a retired UK rail manager and a great fan of Italian trains.

Last night the first of these ‘Treni Turistica’ operated from Rome to the Dolomites.

I have attached his first tweet, the first of many describing the journey.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls