British Airways – It was going so well ……..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Mr Cruzifier chartered his 787 and packed it full of influential bloggers, journos and worthies from Flyertalk and set off on a jaunt from Gatwick to Heathrow, promising many pots of jam tomorrow.

Then some dastardly and ungrateful journo got a quote that suggested BoB might spread to longhaul and this ran through the mainstream press like a dose of measles through a primary school class.

And now ba.com has been down for a few hours, displaying

Technical fault affecting ba.com – Tuesday April 11, 2017

We are experiencing technical issues today with our website.

We are working very hard to resolve the matter as quickly as possible and are sorry for the issues customers are experiencing.

If you are flying today then you can check-in at the airport and our flights are continuing to operate as normal.

If you are flying tomorrow (Wednesday) then please revisit our website later in the day and try to check-in again.

We hope to have all parts of our website available as soon as we can.

No doubt this will flash through the newspapers and blogs like wildfire – nota bene the plaintive tone of the last sentence

“We hope to have all parts of our website available as soon as we can.”

Now I could understand if they wrote ‘we will have our website available, as soon as we can’ or even ‘we hope to have our website available later today’

But that last sentence is hopelessly inarticulate, illogical and suggestive of a lack of faith in their own ability.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

…and is becoming more and more obvious that Business Traveller choose NOT to report a negative BA story [the website being down] even though editorially it is a BIG story! Never wanting to upset BA.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m on a train.

And if we wrote about everytime an airline’s website went down, would you read it?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=801679]…and is becoming more and more obvious that Business Traveller choose NOT to report a negative BA story [the website being down] even though editorially it is a BIG story! Never wanting to upset BA.

[/quote]

That isn’t fair.

BT is a serious business travel journal I’m sure it will post a story when the editorial team have checked the facts and know the situation.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=801682]I’m on a train.

And if we wrote about everyone an airline’s website went down, would you read it?

[/quote]

Tom, I think this may be a little more than a short outage and I’d be interested in reading it, e.g. is it a DDOS attack, what does BA IT management have to say etc.

Still, up to you to run with what you see fit.

Hope you’re train is on time.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

No, I probably wouldn’t but since I forgive your ‘bias’ towards BA on the grounds that you’re a UK magazine, I feel that when the Nation’s national carriers’ website goes down it deserves a nod. You’re a resource as well as a good read.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Tom, the other angle that is certainly newsworthy is whether there has been a data security breach.

The whole website has been down for over 6 hours now, something serious is going on, one way or the other.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

One of the great things about the forum is when someone gives us the nod about a story – thank you – I will investigate.

Train on time!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Tom, don’t over read things into my words……

I have no evidence or hearsay of a data security breach, it’s just I’m aware of how many attacks are happening and it’s a thought….

This article was published today by a decent organisation and Gemalto is a highly plausible source.

Gemalto Breach Level Index: 86% year-on-year increase in compromised data records

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

OK, story up, comment from BA, app seems to be working

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/british_airways_website_down/

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Still problems.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/execclub/_gf/en_gb?p_faqid=5720

“Unfortunately the IT system which manages the online check-in function has not been fully fixed and therefore we have taken the decision to switch it off for the time being. We recognise the frustration this is causing some customers and we are trying to fix it as an urgent priority.

If you are flying with us on Tuesday evening or Wednesday, please check-in at the airport and arrive in good time for your flight as we expect some of the major airports on our network to be busier than usual at what is already a busy time of year with the Easter holidays.

Thank you for your support and understanding while our website is not working to its full capacity, and we look forward to welcoming you on board for your flight.”

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Morning – we’ve been informed by British Airways that “ba.com is fully up and running as of late last night, so customers can use all of its various functions as normal”.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=801828]Morning – we’ve been informed by British Airways that “ba.com is fully up and running as of late last night, so customers can use all of its various functions as normal”.

[/quote]

Maybe not all the various functions?

Picture

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Talking of websites, I’m impressed you managed to attach that picture to the forum – I’ve not been able to do that for weeks.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Not as impressed as I am that flights from Manchester to Heathrow start at £340 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls