Is InterContinental Hotels Group taking the p**h?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

An old bug bear but hey ho…

In my recent travels around the UK I’ve remained loyal to the above brand.

Stayed 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza where my Platinum status was recognised and I was offered an U/G.

Since then I’ve stayed at various Holiday Inns(3 x5 days) and on all occasions it has not, worse still this week they have encamped me in arguably the worst room in their hotel.

Directly opposite the lifts with no room to swing a cat.
    Room Service food pretty poor and as always over priced
    A TV that system that is a poor relation to other hotels I’ve stayed at and a rebuke for taking away an apple from the bar display of fruit!

I have no intention of paying to be elevated to their “Ambassador Status”

So is it time for me to jump ship to a chain that appreciates my loyalty ?

Mdebeer
    Participant

Hyatt!

SergeantMajor
    Participant

I used to enjoy Priority Club.

Even some of their Holiday Inns were OK for a one night stay.

But no longer. The quality of the rooms has nosedived when compared to competitors (some hotels still have Cathode Ray Tubes from the 80s!) and need a serious boost of investment for refurb.

So my Ambassador status lapsed last month, and although I’ll retain platinum from my four stays this year (which proves just how easy Plat is to achieve!) I have switched my loyalty to Marriott/Ritz-Carlton which I am finding better for my travel pattern.

Redeeming five night stays at Ritz-Carltons is much nicer than dicing with the variability of the IC hotels, and as Platinum is tough to achieve (75+ nights per annum) the appreciation and benefits at that tier (and now Platinum Concierge) is marked and noticeable. They also have an excellent Lifetime Elite scheme, too:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rewards/elite-benefits.mi

conshaldow
    Participant

I have to agree canuck, i’m currently a gold member and only seem to get any benefits when staying at a Crowne Plaza. I think the Holiday Inn staff don’t feel the need to reward those customers who are loyal to them.

I’ve also got to agree with SM. I’m slowly being swayed to the Marriott, not just because the IHG don’t seem to offer much in the way of rewards, but I have stayed in a few different Marriott hotels over the last year and have thoroughly enjoyed each stay, the highlight of which being the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville, quite possibly one of the best hotels I’ve had the pleasure of staying at.

Also, IMO the Marriott Group offer a wider range of hotel styles depending on your needs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls