IRIS to be closed Sept 2011

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• cityprofessional
    Participant

The issue with e-gates as a replacement for IRIS is that they do not accept non-EU passport holders, even though many foreign passports are already biometric and chipped

The issue with a Privium-equivalent is not the fee, but I wonder if we would get a refund if the equipment wasn’t working (which is so often tends to be with IRIS). Also is there any guarantee that the replacement would be installed at all airports and terminals serving the London area. I don’t care if I can’t use them in Europe, but I don’t want “airline lottery” which limits the benefit to certain flights home (a bit like Fast Track today – which is increasingly also never open when I need it anyway)

RichHI1
    Participant

It is actually EEA not just EU because of treaty obligations but yes you are right it is fortress europe mentality.
    I hope VK is right and we get a truly international system. I do not mind paying to avoid spending hours every week in lines.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Used IRIS twice in the past week.

MarkRoberts9 was incorrect to state that IRIS is being “abolished from September”.

excessbaggage
    Participant

I also used IRIS at LHR T3 yesterday evening – was working fine and when i asked an attendant, he said he knew nothing of it closing. I’m very glad it was open, as the queues were huge.

Also worth pointing out that quite a few people were using what looked the new e-passport lanes (i have an old passport so can’t use them).

RichHI1
    Participant

Used IRIS last night in T3 worked superbly as usual. Big lines as we were 70 minutes early, so happy IRIS in T3 still works fine. 5 hrs 20 minutes from JFK with 120-140 mph tail winds all the way (20 minute circle at LHR as usual) … Wish they were all like that.

RichHI1
    Participant

Well this post didn’t happen then…
    Used T3 two weeks ago and IRIS was broken as they had set up European Epass gates and whole lot was broken.
    Came through last night and 1 IRIS was open and 1 had a barrier in front of it. UKBA had 2-3 people with clipboards desperately trying to get people to use European Epass gates (not having much success as I saw no one using them.)Got to feel sorry for them, any sentence that involves the words UKBA and EU is not going to get people motivated after a 6 hour flight…

VintageKrug
    Participant

As I understand it, UKBA are orchestrating a “go-slow” and trying to get a better pay settlement in advance of the Olympics.

Time to mechanise the lot.

RichHI1
    Participant

I would not have thought UKBA could go any slower or do you mean the staff members are now falling into line with the activity rates of their senior management.

JordanD
    Participant

Well, all seemed to be working at T5 yesterday afternoon – both IRIS lanes open and working, all the ePass lanes open and working, prompt service on the UK/EU lane; only let down was the slow service on the Non-EU line (where my colleague was) – to be expected after the arrival of a Latin American flight, I suppose ….

RichHI1
    Participant

Good to hear IRIS was working in T5. I think the Euro thing is new in T3 and hope the problmes are just teething troubles.
    I have no problem with there being epass gates ( as long as UK remains in EU) provided IRIS stays open and working or is upgraded to the global approach to which the British Government signed up so many years ago.

JFKLHRNRT
    Participant

I went through IRIS a week ago at T5. It only took 2 mins to clear the immigration even during busy morning around 9am. Both two machines were working.

MarkCymru
    Participant

VK: I cannot believe that you wrote this with a straight face, ” I find UKBA among the most efficient border controls “

I have an American client who has promised never to meet in London again after waiting 4 hours to clear immigration at LHR (and she was flying business, coming from mainland Europe). It took me 15 minutes last week at Bristol!

Forget tax rates or work visas, the single biggest impediment to foreign companies working in (much less setting up in) the UK is our farcical refusal to join Schengen or to establish a viable alternative.

The rest of us can’t do anything about having to share an island with Little Englanders but we should really complain about having their mindset foisted on us too

RichHI1
    Participant

MarkCymru I hear where you are coming from but think you are mixing two issues. The Dutch are Schengen but they also engage with the US and other countries and try to improve their border control service. I would agree that UKBA is a fiasco and that UK immigration is appalling for non UK (and EEA) travellers (something posters overlook as they attack the US who vie with the UK for the slowest service in most airports). Joining Schengen however implies further links to Europe at the expense of links with the rest of the world due to the fortress europe mentality that Brussels exudes. I would rather improve our links with the whole world with a professional Border Agency that delivers a quality service than be a “little englander or a little european”.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Of course, if the UK joined Schengen, no one would know how many people were in the country because you wouldn’t ‘count them in and count them out.’ Wait a minute……

As a Schengen resident, I grit my teeth when I come to the UK and I know a lot of my clients do know favour Schengen countries with their business, as they only have to get one visa for all.

RichHI1
    Participant

DoS much as politicians would wish otherwise we are where we are. the UK is unlikely to join Schengen or the Euro and unfortunately equally likely not to leave the EU within at least the life of this parliament.
    I am sorry you grit your teeth, I would hope you have a Biometric Passport that can be used in the European E-passport gates at most UK airports.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls