Interlining between legacy and low-cost airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Flightlevel
    Participant

Yes my point too, though the a higher chance of missed flight connections since LCC delays increase thoughout the day & an increased connection time should be added to catch your booked flight on a legacy carrier – will they add that to their computer systems!

MarcusGB
    Participant

I mentioned the interlining between AF KLM and Etihad as have met several people who did not know they did. Cityjet formerly part of AF but sold off, continues to operate with AF / KL pre-fixes. But if you do not book on the KLM site, you cannot interline, and you must pay charges for luggage. and gain no FFP benefits.

Also, you will have to re-check in your bags if you do not join the bookings for your onward Airline which is only possible on KLM, and even then you must manually have KLM put your baggage tags into their system. This i discovered yesterday on an LCY-AMS-AUH Ethad connection, KLM had to enter the baggage into their system at AMS, otherwise it would not have gone through.

Out and back, Etihad will check through for KLM and AF, but it takes extra work with Cityjet now. Pity KLM did not take their own aircraft on the LCY Amsterdam routes., run their Embraer’s, as these old stuffy Avro Cityjet aircraft have had their day, and provide little on Board.

transtraxman
    Participant

It seems another two are linking up.
    The global giant Emirates agrees to codeshare with LCC Fastjet. This means Emirates getting a bigger spread in Africa especially as Fastjet has just received its license to operate from Zimbabwe. Add this to Fastjet´s Tanzanian operation and its intended South Africa operation then you can see how far Emirates´ reach will extend.

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/fastjet-launches-codeshare-deal-with-emirates/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_text

Meanwhile the European legacy airlines are doing nothing, reducing flights or tentatively introducing modest executive flights such as Lufthansa´s use of Privat air from Frankfurt to Nairobi.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello transtraxman –

Don’t believe the tie-up goes as far as a code-share.

It appears from media reports that it’s a sales and distribution deal similar to the ones proposed by Ryanair which we referred to recently.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102070/easyjet-to-align-with-lufthansa

It is unclear whether passengers will be able to through check their bags or whether they would have to re-check.

transtraxman
    Participant

I only posted what I had read….
    “fastjet launches codeshare deal with Emirates”

…….it is up to you journalists to write the correct information……………
    and Breaking Travel News tends to a reliable newsource.

The article talks about booking through each other´s website. That seems a pretty close relationship to me.

canucklad
    Participant

There is a quite a few conflicting considerations that the different airlines would need to take into account before entering any formal agreements…….
    And the starting point is, 2 very different business models supported by an embedded culture within each company will find working in unison, hard to put into day to day practice.
    Especially if you understand the varying small print in their respective T&C’s which bind a contract with us as passengers.

A good starting point, would be from a customer point of view,
    Walking away from the FRightmare bag-drop in Kaunas/ Hahn/ Poznan or any other backwater they fly too, knowing your seat number , not only for your flight to DUB, but also your onward connection to YYZ is great. Even greater is the knowledge, you won’t see your bags again till you arrive in Canada……

Now let’s look at it from both airlines point of view….and when all things go tickety-boo ,
    Being an ultra-low cost operator, FR will not be keen to cover the cost of retrieving the bag and handing it over to EI.
    EI has expertise in this field, but I’m sure will also not be keen to take-over the unloading of this extra baggage from the hold of the FR’s 737’s.
    And before, we think of it as a minimal cost, consider FR’s operation at DUB……..much bigger than EI’s…..also take into account FR actively discourage hold luggage., because of the associated risks, especially to delaying flights..

Those risks, and the costs associated will, I believe become an issue in the future relationship between 2 very separate companies. Unlike Vueling and BA, costs can be absorbed and hidden within the IAG accountancy department.

We’ve not even got to when things go “overnight accommodation required” bad, or lost luggage bad…..I can’t see IAG coming out of that negation favourably, remember IAG need FR more than FR need IAG !!

Having said that, the US pre-clearance at DUB does suit the point to point model, westbound anyway…..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

News this afternoon that Aer Lingus continues to talk with Ryanair.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN0SF1PO20151021?irpc=932

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls