Interesting piece from BBC re SAAs future prospects and ownership

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

This piece delves into the depths of the past corruption, near extinction -government intervention -sale of 51% equity and international re-launch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-67554708

The future for SAA and African aviation in general is still it seems a very uncertain one and what is needed is major international airline investment and perhaps control. The SA government has made it no secret that it wants to devest its $49% shareholding.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

To make money in Africa you need a) scale and b) competent management free of political interference.

On a) there are still too many artificial regulations and on b) competence is in short supply as many airlines are still government owned which creates challenges.

Good luck to SAA but I suspect if there are any signs of success it will soon become infested with Dudu Myeni type political appointees and thus head back round the nearest u-bend.

KLM seems to have pretty much given up on Kenya Airways, I can only think of Ethiopian that have achieved much.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I agree that SAA is a very tender shoot that may not prosper without a strong partner purchasing the governments 49% and exercising control.

RAM are also doing well Simon and OW membership will have assisted.
    They have significant expansion plans for 2024 and 30 new aircraft including the A350 in the plan.
    100% government owned though but I believe looking to divest 51% I have read.

SimonS1
    Participant

Good luck to RAM, an interestimg example, but the few articles online are not exactly complimentary.

In fact the same old themes – losses, government interference, mismanagement by ‘appointees’ etc. And who would want to rely on a change of aircraft in Casablanca….

Royal Air Maroc: ‘Morocco’s Broken Wings’ due to poor services, mismanagement, and financial failure

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

The Alitalia of Africa continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. After about 3yrs of negotiations the government of SA has had a change of heart and is no longer selling 51% of SAA. The deal with Takatso Consortium has taken a nose-dive and landed in water.

The airline now goes back to being fully government owned. The gov says that the airline can sustain itself for 12-18 months. And after that??

SAA did make a tiny profit in the 2023 financial year so i guess the gov thinks that it can continue doing so on its own.

I think SAA needs a proper partnership to survive in the long run but what do i know? Here’s the link from Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/deal-sell-stake-south-african-airways-not-going-ahead-minister-2024-03-13/?taid=65f1f0c39915b5000102d17b&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls