Insurance Surcharge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    Participant

I thought I was familiar with all the surcharges………….fuel, security, airport etc etc. Can somebody please explain an Insurance Surcharge.

The only google reference went back to 2001. I am trying to work out what this money goes towards. It was charged by Vietnam Airways, who incidentally provided an excellent service on a recent flight.

NTarrant
    Participant

That is an interesting one! An insurance surcharge by an airline. Did you book it direct or was it through an agent?

Deleted User
    Participant

direct with Vietnam Airways, through their website

Deleted User
    Participant

Despite the Insurance Surcharge, still non the wiser pleased to report some wonderful sectors. Onboard service was outstanding, flights departed and arrived on time all in all a good experience.

One cautionary note, dont bother yet with the online check in. I was told at the airport that although the system is working the airport authorities (in Hanoi) would not recognize on line boarding cards. So off I went to another Q that i thought I had saved myself from.

You tickled our curiousity about this surcharge, so we posed your question to Spencer Lau of the HK Vietnam Airlines office here in Hong Kong. Now he’s curious too.

Could you send him a copy of your ticket at <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] so he can check it out? Do let us know when he gets back to you. Thanks!

Deleted User
    Participant

email sent will let you know the response when received.

watersz
    Participant

looks like it go’s direct to the pocket then? me thinks
    nice little earner

Deleted User
    Participant

Dear Editor Business Traveller AP

Nothing heard from Vietnam Airways since my email to the sales office following your post 8.10.10. (03.51)

Regards

Deleted User
    Participant

Dear Editor

I think it is pretty poor show that despite your email, the invitation email from Spencer Lau in Hong Kong to email direct, that I have not had either a holding email (acknowledgement) or a reply to my query, that even “tickled you curiosity”. I am off to Asia on Thursday including Vietnam, but will think twice about using Vietnam Airways.

I shall wait to see if a reply comes through.

Regards

Hi

We have been chasing Mr Lau of Vietnam Airlines HK office to reply to this query of yours. We will try again today.

We salute your patience! And we are still curious as well.

AmeLim9
    Participant

being work in a travel agency ..i was given to be understand that this insurance surcharge is been implemented since 911 New York tower crash..to cover the insurance of the aircraft ..i supposed..

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Insurance surcharges have been with us for a long time, not sure what the mystery is. Most airlines within the fare breakdown even show it alongside the fuel surcharge (VS is a good example). The charge is indeed to make up for the additional insurance costs that the carriers incurred following several security and terrorist acts.

Munkyboi
    Participant

But why is it necessary to “add” this to the flight price, why isn’t it simply included in the “base” price? It’s not as if it will ever be removed or changed. The same applies to fuel surcharge, why is it separate? If it changed on a weekly/monthly basis I would understand it, but it seems to be pretty fixed.

Deleted User
    Participant

BarnesG – if indeed it is not a mystery, why the mystery of the lack of response from Vietnam Airways. There are so many “surcharges” appearing in the cost of travel that I am sure it is costing the airlines more to adminsiter these surcharges that there value.

The surcharges appear nothing more than an excuse for airlines and airports to increase charges and costs. A great source of profit………if you can get away with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls