Indonesia prepares to open Jakarta-Bandung HS rail line

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

This is the first truly HS (high-speed) rail line in SE Asia.

(HS rail means trains running at around 300 km/h or more)

It’s been delayed by a year but is expected to open next month and to enter commercial operations in October.

Plans for a similar and much-needed HS line linking Singapore with Kuala Lumpur were placed on the back burner some time ago.

Video from CNA posted today.

FormerBA
    Participant

That’s very good news!
    In 2017 I was driven to Bandung which is an interesting place to visit. There is a very nice IC hotel which sits rather incongruously on the outskirts. I recall visiting a volcano.
    But by far the most memorable experience was taking the Argo Wills train across Java to Yogyakarta. It takes about 7 hours and costs around £15 but was clean, comfortable and on time! A unique experience.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I found this background information contained in the below article very informative.

https://thediplomat.com/2023/06/is-indonesias-new-high-speed-rail-line-worth-it/

They government seem to have taken the easy route by not have the line terminate at close to the center of ether city thus greatly reducing its usefulness. Also I am left wondering why the existing rail that does travel to the center of both cities as not simply upgraded.
    I find the arguments made by the government for the new line rather unconvincing and with the prevailing whiff of a vanity project.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Test train has operated. Line *could* open next month.

Line might be extended beyond Bandung to Surabaya which is a total distance from Jakarta of 700 kms/435 miles.

YouTube via SCMP.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Commercial launch is on October 1.

Details in this report by Nikkei Asia.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Line opened on Monday.

Timely considering the endless discussion right now re HS2.

This YouTube from SCMP provides an objective viewpoint.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls