Indian or African? It would cost you USD 1’000 to enter!

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

El Salvador imposes USD 1’000 tax on those coming from Africa and India! Is it only me or is this somewhat shocking? According to the article below, they want to use the money to enhance their airport…

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/travel/travel-news/el-salvador-imposes-1000-tax-on-those-coming-from-africa-and-india/articleshow/104825484.cms

Rferguson2
    Participant

What the Miami Herald is saying:

But experts say the tariffs could be meant to keep migrants who want to reach the U.S.-Mexico border from traveling through El Salvador. The United Nations’ International Organization for Migration recently noted that more African migrants are flying directly into Central America to bypass the dangerous Darién Gap between Panama and Colombia, which over 400,000 migrants have used this year as they begin their travel north.

“This could be an attempt to reduce secondary travel of travelers coming to El Salvador who then could potentially try to make it to the United States,” said Ariel Ruiz Soto, a senior policy analyst at the Migration Policy Institute.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I think I’ll go with the Miami Herald version.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls