India closed for tourism until april 15

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Nest
    Participant

What is the chance that we can make our trip in South India? We are a group of 10 people traveling Brussel – London and London – Mumbai on april 4 ? Flying British Airways.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Nest – simply put this is a very fast and changing situation / world. Personally, I am more concerned about next week rather than next month.

I have chosen to cancel all meetings where I need to travel on the London underground. As far as overseas travel is concerned, even though life goes on – I would respectfully suggest you decide based on the information you read.

This is my choice, but I doubt very much I will see the inside of an airport terminal for a number of months – although, Private Jet travel still remains an option (review to follow)

Good luck.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=993266][/postquote]

I don’t really follow your point.

India has suspended all tourist visas until 15th April as you highlighted. So if you are intending to travel to India on a tourist visa on 4th April a logical conclusion would be that you will be refused entry. I would therefore speak to your insurers.

Woodpecker
    Participant

I believe London would be about as far as you can get to.

Since all pre issued visas to Inida have been suspended, I doubt BA would issue a boarding pass in the first place, even online. Hence it is unlikely you could make the flight.

What might be even more likely is that by April 4, BA may well have suspended the flight itself for lack of traffic.

Unless there are compelling reasons for you to proceed to India, you may want to revise your itinerary.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I suspect that your chances are close to zero. I have a friend in India now and she is basically being kept under house confinement until her return flight is due. She is certainly not being allowed to go to any ‘tourist’ areas or do any internal travel.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

@DavidSmith2 Does she have COVID-19 symptoms? That’s the only legal circumstance under which her movements would be restricted. I’m in India right now. Life is normal, people of all hues are moving around freely, and there is actually very little panic. If she isn’t unwell, then these restrictions might have been imposed by over-anxious hosts/employers.

The government is being unusually proactive. They got spooked by a group of 16 European tourists who were all infected by the virus, and travelled around for a couple of weeks before being intercepted. So far, all identified cases have had a link to overseas travel and I don’t blame them for trying to cut that down.

To answer the OP, their best bet is to approach the Indian High Commission and see if they can get fresh visas which will allow them to travel. Won’t be easy unless they have a convincing reason.

simeoncox
    Participant

No tourist visas are being issued; visas are being revoked. <https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/03/11/coronavirus-india-suspends-visa-on-arrival-for-japan-and-south-korea/&gt;
    Passengers are being turned back. States are starting to consider precautionary measures. <https://m.economictimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/death-toll-at-2-states-get-into-lockdown-mode/articleshow/74619487.cms&gt;

I was planning to meet an Anglo-Canadian friend who last week flew in to Delhi; she flew out after 3 days. A tourist here in the south for three months, I am now having trouble continuing my planned travel due to carrier cancellations or consolidations (fewer planes, buses). I am also having trouble booking flights to nearby countries. I am probably going to be stuck here for some weeks more. India is closing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls