Increased TPs for LH flights revealed

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

The new TP earning rates for LH flights with BA are now on the BA website. I can’t paste the link (perhaps someone from BT could help out) but if you go to the FAQs about the new BAEC, the answer to the question on the new TPs from 16 November is now accompanied by a table.

In summary, LH flights in Discounted Econ, WT, WTP, CW and F go up by 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 TPs respectively. But flights to EZE, TOK and SIN go up by 10,20,25, 40 and 60 TPs respectively.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Thanks – two questions which I would appreciate any help with:

– Do the TP changes apply only to bookings made after 16/11/11 or do they apply to sectors flown after that date even if the booking was made earlier in the year?

– What is the effect of these changes on LHR-SYD flights?

I am already booked to fly F from LHR to SYD on Boxing Day and am wondering how all this will affect my quest for a Concorde Room card!

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

Not sure about the first question HFF (which I’m also curious about), but on the second, it would seem that LHR-SYD will earn as set out in the last row of that table (ie an effective reduction in TPs to the current earning rate).

It has been implied on a thread on the flyertalk website that LHR-SYD will earn the same TPs as LHR-SIN. Not sure how that can be right, but I’d suggest you keep an eye on that thread (started by the BAEC Rep this afternoon).

C

Binman62
    Participant

The changes take effect on 16th November and so all flights flown after that date will earn the new rate of tier points. LHR SYD via SIN will gain 240 for LHR SIN and 201 for SIN SYD. As always on this route you should always request split tickets even if continuing on same flight to maximise tier points. BA have previously been quite generous with this. The web site says nothig about through tier points.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Thanks. If I have already booked and not requested split tickets, what happens? Am I now stuck with just 240 points, rather than the 330 I was expecting?

JordanD
    Participant

According to the BAEC rep on Flyertalk (recently updated post):

“For LHR-SYD you will earn 60,120,150,240,360 Tier Points respectively (discount economy, full fare economy, World Traveller Plus, Club World and First)”

No idea what SIN-SYD is though, if you are splitting your tickets (probably under 6000 miles rate).

Senator
    Participant

Here is the answer, which may require you to log in to BA EC:

How much will Tier Points increase for Long Haul flights?
    https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ec-frequently-asked-questions/execclub/_gf/sv_se

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Sorry to be a thick pedant, but could we please try to be consistent in the use of acronyms on this Forum?

To me, LH means Lufthansa, not Long Haul. Just spent several minutes wondering how the hell flights on a Star Alliance carrier could be credited to BAEC. I then thought LH might be a typo for LHR. It was only four or five posts in that I realised it was being used for Long Haul. Consistency please. A serious request. Also, I thought TP was a Portugese airline.

Cheers, Simon

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, Simon. Second you!!!

For me, a Swiss based BAEC member, I needed 2 1/2 return long haul flights per year to maintain my gold status (in Club World, taking the GVA-LHR legs into consideration). Now I will need a bit more than 4… Almost the double :-/

Compared with Skyteam, taking HKG as an example, I’d need 3 AF return flights in business to maintain Platinum (not using the highest fare since the paid fare counts on AF). But taking DXB, I would need a bit more than 5…

On M&M, I would need 4 RT flights to HKG but 7! to DXB (for Senators)… But I agree, M&M is rubbish any way…

So to maintain multiple premium membership, shouldn’t we fly the longer sectors on Skyteam leaving East Coast and Middle East to BA?

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

Will bear that in mind Simon. Unfortunately (since it results in all of my points being held in one ‘basket’), my business travel is dominated by Oneworld airlines and so I have a fairly blinkered view!

Perhaps someone at BT could amend the title to avoid giving the impression that airline alliances are now following the supermarkets’ strategy of accepting each other’s points!

C

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Thanks – it seems a single ticket flight LHR-SIN-SYD will be 360 tier points, rather than 330. Not much of an improvement but better than othing!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for pointing that out Simon. Till I read your post I thought it was Lufthansa and was trying to figure how I could get points on my M&M account when flying BA to NY. It all makes sense now.

Perhaps the BT forum administrator could put a list of popular acronyms in a sidebar to help us and especially new posters?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls