Immigration at Heathrow T3

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Does anyone in HM Borders and Immigration Control care about their job or the impression they give to visitors to the UK? Absolutely typical scene at Heathrow T3 late on Monday night – huge queues of people (this at the UK/EU desks) and just 2 of the 8 desks manned. A scrappy photocopied sign on an A4 piece of paper said “we are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience today” – without any explanation as to why or what had caused it. IRIS was not working. And naturally T3 does not have the new passport scanner gates yet.

When I asked what the problem was, no-one knew (don’t they even bother to find out what their own management is apologising for?). When I asked why only 2 desks were manned, no-one answered or cared. When I asked if this happened regularly, I was told “every day, but management don’t care” (all these from the immigration officer I was presenting my passport to).

When I actually found an information officer and pursued the questions, I was left in no doubt that yes, it happens every time more than one plane arrives together, but they weren’t going to respond by increasing the number of immigration officers, and we should put up with it. Indeed who on earth was I to tell them how to do their job?

I feel sorry for people who are so obviously miserable and so obviously hate their job. Checking passports is never going to be the most exciting job in the world, but it can be approached in a better frame of mind than this!

Sparepocket
    Participant

If HMBI hadn’t wasted all that money on those ridiculous and (frankly) sinister pseudo-militaristic uniforms then maybe there would be enough money to employ a few more officers and speed things up a bit.
    I would hate to be in an Immigration queue during the Olympics next year. Welcome to Third World Britain,indeed!

DClinPsy
    Participant

Do I need to pass the immigration from T3 to T5? Will be arriving from SIN, and transiting to AMS. First time transiting in LHR.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

You should not have to. Follow the signs for International Transfers when you arrive at T3. This should lead to a bus transfer air-side between T3 and T5. Be aware however that you will have to go through security checks again at T5, so any duty-free alcohol you buy in Singapore might get caught for being liquids over 100 ml.

DClinPsy
    Participant

Ahh… Thanks for the info Cedric!

I usually off in LHR, but this time decided to take a short break in AMS, problem is ticket to LHR is already booked.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the liquid, but LHR is cheaper than SIN, especially with the weaken GBP. So might as well bought it in T5 during my 2 hours transit. Thanks heap!

Travellator
    Participant

I transfer regularly T3 to T1 albeit with hand baggage only, take the bus route, I have never ever been less than 2nd in the queue !

MarkCymru
    Participant

Cedric — the new passport scanner machines rarely work. At Bristol, they are only scheduled to operate for four hours a day — because they require such heavy staffing, I was told!

I know a visiting American who took four hours to get through T3 border control. What are the chances that she will choose the UK for her next business meeting?

These securocrats are completely out of control but no politician dare take them on in case they leak something hostile to the Daily Mail. Combine this with the customer-hostile attitude of BAA and you have a hopeless mix.

Sparepocket
    Participant

I do wish the people running Chep Lap Kok or Changi would take over the running of LHR!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Sparepocket:

I support your suggestions, not that I am a Hong Konger but I know what smoother Immigration clearance is like in many parts of the world!!!!

In LHR the UK Border Control is world-class BAD!

Binman62
    Participant

The problem with queues affects all terminals at times at LHR and also inflicts the ferry terminals and other entry points. The uniforms may not be ideal but they are an improvement on the hobo look that generally seen prior to their introduction. They were supposed to add a sense of professionalism and officialdom but the staff need to be trained and to be less officious.
    The problem is really quite simple. It is all about attitude and customer service. In SIN they have very strict immigration controls but how the enforce them is done with great aplomb. The staff are trained to recognise issues and do not treat everyone as an illegal immigrant. The UK staff by comparison see themselves as defenders of our borders and their approach is altogether more rabid. Many are simple caricatures of Ian Foot from come fly with me……..or should that be the other way around.
    There is frankly no need for the queues nor for the attitude, but sadly poor service is the norm in the UK at so many levels. It bothers me that the first impression many people anyone get of the UK is at Heathrow. I personally hate coming home to Heathrow.

Sparepocket
    Participant

Binman, spare a thought for those non-nationals coming to the UK for a holiday and/or a business. They do get a grilling. Of course, this also happens in the US. If you aren’t American then you can basically expect a frosty ‘Q&A’ at the desk.Having said that, l’ve been lucky enough to find Immigration agents in the US who aren’t difficult to deal with and don’t treat you like an illegal alien.
    The attitude problem and risible customer service can perhaps be explained by the fact that Immigration staff harbour a dislike for their employers AND foreigners (not to mention a subliminally notion that they, as .Cool Brits’, are better than everyone else)! With that mindset we’re never going to win many friends.No surprise that England are perhaps one of the least liked teams over here in India during the world cup.

stevescoots
    Participant

quote spare pocket “Immigration staff harbour a dislike for their employers AND foreigners (not to mention a subliminally notion that they, as .Cool Brits’, are better than everyone else”

there is nothing more we english hate more than racist and foriegners lol

seriously, I get so would up everytime I return to heathrow. just come back from Asia again.

changi. took 20 mins to clear immigration from start to bags collected and out
    hong kong: 15 mins clear immigration and collect bags collected and out
    narita 20 mins clear and bags got

LHR, 55 mins. 15 mins in immigration with sullun old cow telling me to use the iris (yeah I woudl if the wait wasnt so long as they were pushing all teh noobs thru it) then 40 mins for my bags

and what is it with bloody BAA! every airport I fly to, including the real dodgy ones the business class and first bags come out first. heathrow? nooooo usually bloody last! I swear to god they do it on purpose

lostantipod
    Participant

yep…..arrived T3 from BKK on tuesday am last week. One IRIS broken, the other broke while we queued. Walk to the other end of the immigration area to use the “fast track” immigration lane, as I travelled Biz on BA …but were werent given fast track slips and I had to prove to the queue dragon that I travelled Biz ….then after 5 mins in that queue I realise that the standard queues are travelling much faster ! I ask the lady at the top of the queue – the one with the extremely important job of pointing you to the next available border agent ….well that conversation was an exercise in pointlessness…as is employing someone to point you to the next fast track agent WHEN THERE IS ONLY ONE AGENT ON DUTY !!! DUH !!!

So….15 minutes to get out of immigration as a premium pax. A stark contrast to BKK and SYD …. welcome back to “no service” Britain….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you are likely to hit the T3 rush, try clearing at T1 instead (only for those with hand bagage). Its hit and miss, but sometimes worth the gamble.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls