Iberia Oneworld Emerald number/IMO a horrible unaccountable airline

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Before I have a real rant, which I will do when I have time to do so, does anyone know of an Iberia telephone number that actually gets answered>? I am BA Gold/Oneworld Emerald.

I have tried the UK number that goes through to Spain but no joy, and that is after 15 times last week and 3 times today. There is either a voice activation instruction that leads to nothing or you wait for a few minutes and then they cut you off asking to call back in a few minutes.

But in my opinion Iberia is one airline that seems keen to really make you want to have contempt for them and after variable experiences (being kind) really think this airline is to be avoided – especially in these times when travel is complicated and stressful enough anyway. Will give more details later but IMO this is one ghastly outfit that is simply not to be trusted.

If anyone has an alternative number than the 020 3684 3774 this will be gratefully received.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I have been in Spain since 2016 and flew regularly Alicante/Madrid/HKG/Singapore. On 5 out of 5 flights over 18 months my bag did not arrive into Alicante on the return sector. STaff at the Iberia desks in Alicante were pretty much indfferent. The website tracking never kept up to date and the only information I got was a text message to say bag is on its way with a flight number. Somehow the bag got stuck in Madrid. An embarrassment to OneWorld. As I have not flown anywhwre in the last 18 momths I cannot believe they have improved.

2 users thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Seems they do not improve at all.

Several years ago I flew Iberia (Business Class) LHR/MAD/AGP and my checked bags didn’t arrive at Malaga, completed all the forms and was told I should expect the bags “later”, called the number provided and did actually speak to people but to no avail. On the third day after arrival I was told “your bags are probably at Malaga but we are not sure, if you want to go to the airport and check you can do”.
    It was a 200km round trip drive but they were not prepared to cover my expenses, and had no idea how long I would have to wait for them to deliver the bags. They were not even sure whether my bags were at Madrid or Malaga!
    I made the journey, arrived at the airport and was directed to a delayed baggage area. I was allowed into this area with no security checks, other than producing my bag tags. There were hundreds of bags stacked up, many hundreds, but luckily I spotted one of my bags (distinctive colour) and found the other close by. Made my way to the exit, the guy who had let me in was still there, I told him I had found my bags and he let me out, no checks on the tags to ensure that both of the bags I had were actually my bags, I could have taken any that were there. If I had not chosen to drive to the airport who knows whether I would have ever seen my bags again, given the mountains that were stored there.
    I have flown Iberia since, but never with checked baggage.

GivingupBA
    Participant

CathayLoyalist2 said, “I have been in Spain since 2016 and flew regularly Alicante/Madrid/HKG/Singapore. On 5 out of 5 flights over 18 months my bag did not arrive into Alicante on the return sector.”

That is really striking. And appalling. In almost 5 decades of frequent flying I have only ever had THREE bags missing/ not come till a couple of days later (and one of those was stolen, at JFK…. I had family meeting me and as they waited, a guy pushed a giant trolley loaded with bags out, and they said about the giant bag on top of the trolley ‘Oooh look at that, that’s funny, that bag looks exactly like GivingupBA’s bag’ [my bag had unmistakable distinctive markings and colour]. The airline couldn’t find my bag and of course I never got it back).

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1111886] ………….I told him I had found my bags and he let me out, no checks on the tags to ensure that both of the bags I had were actually my bags, I could have taken any that were there ………….[/quote]

From my experience, every airport to which I have ever flown does not check outgoing passengers’ tags against what they are taking out. I have always thought that this was a way that bags could be stolen.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I currently use a GEGO bag tracker. It wont get a lost bag returned any quicker, but at least you have the reassurance of knowing which airport / country the missing bag is likely to be. First time I used it, BA in Miami told me my bag had been left in London, until the mapping on my lap top showed then where in MIA airport the bag was sitting! It still took overnight to be reunited….

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1111904]

In China bag tags are checked at collection. Certainly in SZX, PEK, YIH and the Shanghai airports.

1 user thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1111858]

I think otherwise, having lived in Malaga for 14 years until OCT2020, due to mix of Covid and brexshit, I flew IB very often from AGP to LHR, MIA and BOG, and even flew them to Colombia 3 times in the past 8 months from the UK, I have had nothing but excellent service both on the ground and in the air, the staff are always very friendly when compared to the snarling horses or under trained children at BA! and for the record I call the number mentioned many times and do not experience what you claim too , whoops for you

ghlotus
    Participant

Same in Vietnam. All tags are checked upon leaving the baggage claim area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls