IAG buys Vueling

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

BigDog.
    Participant

Very good news, especially as IAG now hold over 90% of the shares so should be able to force a total buy-out if they wished and thus avoid shareholder reporting.

As FDos, Transtraxman et al have posted, one hopes Walsh pretty much leaves Vueling to develop on its own, something it has done exceptionally well do date, even outperforming Ryanair and easyjet in several areas.

Although a hefty premium was paid, unlike the ridiculous price/valuation for the IB corpse, the purchase of Vueling should both secure loco market share and repay in spades making an immediate positive contribution – as long as the maladroit IAG leadership team stay clear!

With the Catalan/Northern economy looking much stronger than the rest of basket case mid/southern Spain, also with increasing independence/separatist political victories, it may make sense to consider leveraging the potential of Barcelona as long haul hub – fed by loco Vueling and not IB express. The high rail speed link connecting Barcelona to the southern France HS network also increases its catchment area.Though given Walsh actively contracted UK regions (leaving long haul to the ME/FE carriers) he will probably forget the lesson and fail to take the opportunity.

wilson3
    Participant

Excellent news.

SimonS1
    Participant

Presumably the master plan is that Vueling starts up new routes (low cost) and Iberia closes them down (high cost)?

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is an excellent achievement, and gives IAG considerable leverage in turning around Iberia.

An interesting stable:

British Airways
    Iberia
    bmi
    Vueling
    18% of Comair (South Africa)
    15% of flybe

sparkyflier
    Participant

How long before BAEC members can get avios and tier pints in Vueling? Until now only Iberia Plus can.

This is good and as suggested above, hope they leave the product untouched – “If it aint broke dont fix it”!

VintageKrug
    Participant

…and this acquisition has interesting implications for Gatwick.

transtraxman
    Participant

I have just come across this award ceremony of Air Transport World. This one is for their “Value Airline of the Year 2013”. The award goes to “Vueling”.

The point to note is the second half of the video when the “acceptance speech” is made by the company´s COE Alex Cruz..

Having looked at this video, I would think that IAG´s intention is not only to take advantage of Vueling the way it is, but use the philosophy and perhaps personnel to turn Iberia round. The second can learn a lot from the first.

http://atwonline.com/atw-awards/atws-2013-value-airline-year-video

CXDiamond
    Participant

Perhaps the model the LH group used with Crossair and Tyrolean will be used and the whole Iberia operation will be tranferred to Vueling.

That should cut costs over night.

What I’m now waiting for is the whole LH operation to be transferred to Germanwings!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think this is more of a Plan B than a Plan A. But nice to know IAG now holds all the cards.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls