IAG 737 Max Order

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

IAG during the depths of the 737 Max crisis placed an order (presumably at discounted rates) for 50 Maxs (25 8’s and 25 10’s) with options for 100 more. Deliveries were slated to start at the end of 2023 and run through 2027. IAG has still to confirm which carrier/s will operate these jets, and at the time said any group carrier that needed them could. I would be interested to hear any insight or opinions as to who the most likely candidates are.

The Max is an interesting move, likely opportunistic, and impressive that they secured delivery slots so soon after ordering. The jet is a bit out of place within the group, although it does fit in with Air Europa if IAG is ever able to finalize the deal.

GBAIR72
    Participant

I can’t see that happening. It makes no sense.
    Unless if BA Gatwick and Vueling get the Max It would make no sense for Aer Lingus BA Heathrow or Iberia.
    I think this was a PR ploy
    At the time of the order air europa deal was on shaky ground. Let’s hope it happens

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Purely anecdotal – a fair few of the BA A319 & A320 planes I’ve flown on appear fairly aged. Possibly a fleet replacement for these?

sparkyflier
    Participant

I believe that the 737, including the Max, cannot operate from T5 due to luggage loading – they cannot do luggage palates and luggage has to be loaded manually on 737. I am happy to be corrected on this however.

Which leaves them perhaps OK for Vueling (solid Airbus operator) and Air Europa – with an existing 737-800 fleet.

I guess IAG may be examining what brands they want to keep/develop as one of their projects, and which to drop. Remember they also have the Level brand – which is mainly deployed to keep Norwegian/Fly Norse in their place on long haul flights. Perhaps they could drop the Vueling brand and widen the Air Europe one.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

The max order is a confirmed order for 50 jets, these are firm orders, approved by the board, so not a PR ploy. I feel IAG needs to be tidied up a bit, if the Air Europa deal goes through, they will then have 3 divisions of Iberia and 3 additional brands in Spain alone, Iberia/Iberia Express/Iberia Regional/Vueling/Level/Air Europa.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Not forgeting Air Nostrum

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I didn’t count Air Nostrum as technically IAG doesn’t own Air Nostrum they just operate as a franchisee flights for Iberia Regional, that was always my understanding anyway. I realised Air Europa also has Air Europa Express.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

AndrewinHK you could be right. Compared with Iberia I always found Air Nostrum to be very good. It was invariably a short hop from Alicante to Madrid then connecting with CX to HKG/Singapore. Cabin Crew were smartly dressed, polite and the plane was for the most part punctual.

sparkyflier
    Participant

AndrewinHK – we were making the same or similar points re brands/divisions.

Thank you for adding Air Europa Express into the mix too!

Too many brands can cause confusion and in business sometime it is best to keep it simple. I remember when the new CEO of AF arrived he promptly got rid of Air France’s Joon brand and it was the right thing to do.

With the Iberia brands I understand the “Express” brand does not allow travellers to earn Tier points which just seems like a complicator and designed to cause anger and disappointment. And re Vueling I know how to pronounce it but apparently not all markets do, so I wonder if they should remove the Vueling band and use the Air Europa one on these services and UX’s current flights.

A risk to that however may be that Catalonians see Vueling as “their” brand and are less inclined to fly Iberia but maybe they will come around.

However I not sure Air Europa is a much liked airline anyway. Many of my Latin American friends avoid IB and UX like the the plague and prefer AF/KL these days on UK/EU flights.

Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds and what IAG will eventually decide (if anything).

On a separate point – with so many 737Max ordered which do not necessarily need to find homes in IAG airlines (unless they buy another airline), perhaps they could set up their own leasing company.

MrDarwin
    Participant

A more radical suggestion perhaps, but they could all go to Level to expand into LCC or ULCC intra-Europe and feeder flights for Level/Air Europa long haul

DavidGilbert
    Participant

IAG’s order for the Boeing 737 Max signals a strategic move during challenging times. While specific carriers haven’t been confirmed, potential operators within the IAG group, such as Vueling or LEVEL, could benefit. The order’s flexibility underscores IAG’s adaptability in navigating the aviation landscape.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Just to update, the IAG CEO confirmed the IAG Max order and said they are expecting 25 737-Max 10 aircraft in 2025.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I honestly highly doubt that IAG (or any airline) will be getting the MAX 10 in 2025. Let’s not forget that United Airlines recently removed the MAX 10 from future plans as that aircraft is nowhere close to certification. UA is the launch customer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls