I won a free Peru tour. Any suggestions for places to visit there?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• galvinstone
    Participant

After joining an event in an Asian country, I was surprised to receive a news regarding my itinerary to Peru by myself.

My sojourn to Asia helped me achieve what I’ve been wishing to have and that is to win a free tour in a Latin American country.

I am so excited! It’s one of my bucket lists!

I have read a lot of features about Machu Picchu and I can’t wait to travel the place!

Now, I still need suggestions on the places I need to visit there.

Please help me out! Your responses are highly appreciated.

capetonianm
    Participant

I would recommend a flight over the Nazca Lines and a visit to the Valle de los Sagrados (or is it Valle Sagrado?)

paulkaz
    Participant

The coastal town of Mancora 1000 km north of Lima has a real surfer hippy vibe.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I would suggest a visit to Paddington’s Aunt Lucy at the home for retired bears, in Lima.

3 users thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Such a diverse range of sights in Peru, really depends on your interests and time available. I would second the Nazca lines flight, now a lot safer than it used to be. Machu Picchu is the No 1 site in Peru, together with Cuzco & Valle Sagrado. Arequipa is often overlooked, with side trip to Colca Canyon, for almost guaranteed early morning sightings of Condors. Many operators with tours to suit any budget/time. If flying into Cuzco from Lima factor in a free day to acclimatize to the altitude change, it does take your breath away!

capetonianm
    Participant

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/south-america/peru/articles/ultimate-peru/

How to have the perfect holiday in Peru

Although this article is ‘advertorial’, it contains a lot of useful information and suggestions.

Henryp1
    Participant

Belmond trains do a really nice journey from Cusco to and from Machu Picchu for a very comfortable train which is good for day trips.

travelworld2
    Participant

I’m just back from there. I’d definitely do Machu Picchu. if you get a choice of hotel and it’s included/your budget will stretch to it I’d stay at the Sanctuary lodge as it’s the only hotel right next to the site- all the others are a 20 minute bus ride away (with along queue for the bus at peak times). The Belmond train is excellent but the cheaper Peru Rail train is now pretty good. One of them is slightly more expensive and incudes food and drink and, bizarrely, a fashion show by the staff on the return leg.

I’d stay in Cuzco as suggested but also find time for the Sacred Valley, where the Sol y Luna hotel is one of the nicest I have ever stayed in. I also agree that Arequipa and the Colca Canyon is worth a look.

Agree wholeheartedly with the view that you should take it easy in Cuzco before you start serious sightseeing- the altitude can be tough.

capetonianm
    Participant

Very valid point about the altitude. When I went to Cuzco I’d spent most of the previous few weeks in JNB. Cuzco is twice as high AMSL (3400m) and I found myself feeling the effects of the altitude.

Smokers apparently fare better at altitude as their lungs are accustomed to oxygen deprivation.

donnerkiel64
    Participant

Apart from what has been mentioned above you may consider the Titikaka lake also. But be aware of the hight altitude level of nearly 4000m. You may move there direct after visting Cuzco in order to keep the same altitude level. Flight time is short, less than an hour to Juliaca.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls