I will never fly LOT again!!!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Jerry P
    Participant

I purchased ticket to Toronto for October 2020. Firstly LOT Polish Airlines changed my itinerary twice and this was ok with LOT then I missed first leg flight (my fault, no taxi) from Poznan to Warsaw. I took a train as the second leg flight was 12 hours later but when I got there I had to pay 2850 PLN over and above the amount of 2100 PLN, just to reinstate my ticket. So, I end up paying 4950PLN.

It looks that LOT is making sales by ripping people off. I queried that charge with LOT as it doesn’t make sense to pay so much just for 10 min work reinstating my ticket, yet the plane was half empty. I will never again fly LOT. No customer service nor understanding especially during Covid-19.

Tand
    Participant

It might come as a surprise, but if you miss the first leg of your ticket, the rest of your itinerary will automatically get cancelled. The rule is the same with all airlines, and I don’t think that LOT was looking to rip you off.

5 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1015130][/postquote]

this is not LOT’s fault in any way and is in the terms of carriage. your ticket was issued from A to C, if you choose for whatever reason to fly from B to C then you must have the ticket repriced at the tariffs available at the time of that change, this is normal industry practice and I am afraid Normal! your point of complaining otherwise is irrelevant therefore. 🙂 you broke the terms and conditions of your routed ticket therefore the airline changed the ticket for you, quite often depending on the type of ticket, if this was a restricted ticket they could have made you but a new ticket, as BA usually always does, so count yourself lucky….third world problem’s right now eh 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. Ticket coupons must be used in the order they are written/issued.

Decades ago when I last worked in the travel business (before todays CRSs and so on) it was possible to circumvent these rules.

A savvy traveller would detach the first (unused) coupon and present his or her ticket (with the itinerary showing the first flight as being coupon number two) at the airport. *

Chances are the airline check-in staff would be none the wiser.

However with the arrival of CRSs, computerised tickets and now electronic tickets this is not possible.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Indeed I fell victim to this problem when I met a client in the T5 lounge, with a champagne bottle on our table in August 2018. £1,400 later, I was able to get onto my BA longhaul to Asia, having missed the first ex-Europe sector – with the additional ‘prize’ that my credit card details were used frequently as that was one of the days card details were ‘lifted’ from BA as part of the data protection breach.

It is also worth mentioning that BA managers do have the authority to allow coupons to used out of sequence. I was due to fly to Milan to start an ex-Europe ticket to either Asia or USA. It was winter and snowing. BA had cancelled the LHR-LIN and return LIN-LHR sector’s. But BA did allow me to board the long-haul flight and changed both the Milan sectors to open tickets for future use.

2 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1015255][/postquote]

Only 1,400 GBP Martyn? I guess you were not drinking that day, slow day at the office 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1015278]Only 1,400 GBP Martyn? I guess you were not drinking that day, slow day at the office 🙂[/quote]

I certainly learnt my lesson that day. Thankfully K1ngston, the T5 lounge session came no where close to that whisky session a few years back in Sukhumvit. Since then, I never turn up in a departure lounge without my watch with a built in alarm set for 55 minutes to departure. Using alarm function on phone doesn’t work for me as the phone often sits in my briefcase.

I accept getting to the airport and gate on time, is our (the passenger) responsibility. I deservedly got very little sympathy when I recounted my missed departure on these threads. Sounding harsh, a lack of taxis is not an excuse.

As a side issue, I live ca. 45 minutes from Heathrow and generally use the M1, M25 motorways. Sometimes go by tube and that takes 1 hour 20. For a mid day departure, I will usually leave by car ca. 9.15am. I have had several near misses in the past caused car accidents on the motorways. Whilst the airlines have sometimes been sympathetic, I still think it is unfair when motorways are blocked due to accidents and incidents, that passengers, through no fault of their own, miss flights and suffer the financial consequences of missed flights. I remember a few years back when a ‘Fathers For Justice’ protest shut the M25 for hours causing many people to miss flights (and incidentally aircrew from reaching Heathrow). In these circumstances, why should passengers suffer financial loss due to the pre meditated actions of others.

However, going to the airport by public transport, some insurance policies will (or used to) cover you for missed flights due to ‘disruption’.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, looks like the first winter BBQ tonight – I am allowed in my garden I think and should make it on time…

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1015287]As a side issue, I live ca. 45 minutes from Heathrow and generally use the M1, M25 motorways. Sometimes go by tube and that takes 1 hour 20. For a mid day departure, I will usually leave by car ca. 9.15am[/quote]

Martyn

You and I live very near each other. However, I never go to LHR using the M25. If you listen to local radio (as I do) the M25 is blocked several times each day (albeit in different places). If you are on the motorway you are stuck – maybe for hours. Before leaving home, by taxi or using my own car, I always check Waze and take the most appropriate alternative route. You and I have several of these, to get to LHR, and options to try a different route when encountering any immediate blockage.

As for using the tube (or Thameslink) – same problem: often delays for several reasons.

Coming home, the M25 is a usable route.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1015287]Whilst the airlines have sometimes been sympathetic, I still think it is unfair when motorways are blocked due to accidents and incidents, that passengers, through no fault of their own, miss flights and suffer the financial consequences of missed flights. I remember a few years back when a ‘Fathers For Justice’ protest shut the M25 for hours causing many people to miss flights (and incidentally aircrew from reaching Heathrow). In these circumstances, why should passengers suffer financial loss due to the pre meditated actions of others.[/quote]

Isn’t that covered under travel insurance? I agree it’s unfair for the passenger, but on the other hand I don’t really see it’s the airline’s issue.

Where would you draw the line? Protests? Accident? Traffic congestion? Roadworks? Heavy rain? Running late but thought I would make it? And who would be the judge of what was fair/not?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1015329]Isn’t that covered under travel insurance?[/quote]

In my policy only indirectly – under ‘travel inconvenience’. The benefit amount is unlikely to cover full cost of flights and any pre paid hotels and covers lateness/delays by using either public transport or an accident in a car I AM DRIVING

[quote quote=1015329]I don’t really see it’s the airline’s issue.[/quote]

Agreed, it’s not the airlines issue/problem to replace / recover the value of a non flexible or a ticket changeable with penalties, foc

[quote quote=1015329]Where would you draw the line? Protests? Accident? Traffic congestion? Roadworks? Heavy rain? Running late but thought I would make it?[/quote]

All of the above are matters that need to be considered by the passenger travelling and to a degree are known before travel and can not reasonably be insured against

What I have never understood is a car driver carries insurance. A motorway crash occurs which closes the motorway for a number of hours causing passengers to miss flights. Why is there no liability on the driver’s insurance (if they are to blame) to cover consequential losses by unrelated third parties? One reason, I have been told, is that the drivers involved in an accident are protected by DPA, in that the police will not release their names and addresses for such a claim to be made…

If the accident was caused by a commercial vehicle (again with liability proven), could the passenger make a claim for the value or cost to change of the non flexible ticket from the vehicle owners’ PI policy.

I would have thought this was exactly why travel insurance was created, but apparently missing a flight, even if you were due to arrive at the airport 3 hours before the flight, due to a traffic accident (attended by both the police and emergency services), you could potentially lose the entire value of your ticket, through absolutely no fault of your own. In fact it could be proven it was the fault of some one else.

Is such insurance cover able to be purchased?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1015423]What I have never understood is a car driver carries insurance. A motorway crash occurs which closes the motorway for a number of hours causing passengers to miss flights. Why is there no liability on the driver’s insurance (if they are to blame) to cover consequential losses by unrelated third parties? One reason, I have been told, is that the drivers involved in an accident are protected by DPA, in that the police will not release their names and addresses for such a claim to be made…

If the accident was caused by a commercial vehicle (again with liability proven), could the passenger make a claim for the value or cost to change of the non flexible ticket from the vehicle owners’ PI policy.

I would have thought this was exactly why travel insurance was created, but apparently missing a flight, even if you were due to arrive at the airport 3 hours before the flight, due to a traffic accident (attended by both the police and emergency services), you could potentially lose the entire value of your ticket, through absolutely no fault of your own. In fact it could be proven it was the fault of some one else.

Is such insurance cover able to be purchased?[/quote]

Re liability insurance – clearly if the person causing the accident was responsible for consequential losses of everyone then it would send premiums through the roof. Imagine for example having to cover the costs of every M25 user……

My insurance covers me for the breakdown of my own vehicle, or the failure of public transport. As I only ever travel to the airport on public transport that meets my needs.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1015431]Re liability insurance – clearly if the person causing the accident was responsible for consequential losses of everyone then it would send premiums through the roof. Imagine for example having to cover the costs of every M25 user……[/quote]

As if every M25 user was on his/her way to Heathrow with a non flexible long-haul ticket… I am sure the airlines and the airport would be delighted…

[quote quote=1015431]My insurance covers me for the breakdown of my own vehicle, or the failure of public transport. As I only ever travel to the airport on public transport that meets my needs.[/quote]

Then no need for you to worry about this Simon..

Just curious to know whether you can insure against losing the value of a flight ticket when the flight was missed, due to a road traffic accident, where it is proven an insured car driver or commercial vehicle was at fault.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1015448]As if every M25 user was on his/her way to Heathrow with a non flexible long-haul ticket… I am sure the airlines and the airport would be delighted…[/quote]

Why would it be restricted to such people. What if I was on my way to Gatwick? Dover? The theatre? Arsenal v Man United? They are all consequential losses.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1015451]Why would it be restricted to such people. What if I was on my way to Gatwick? Dover? The theatre? Arsenal v Man United? They are all consequential losses.[/quote]

Correct..

Can consequential losses in these circumstances be insured or do we just have to take it on the chin, bad luck and all that….

Just trying to understand whether my financial loss (restricted, non cancellable/non changeable air ticket) caused by the action of a third party (this example a car crash, driver at fault, causing road closures) can be fully insured?

Is there such a cover as consequential loss insurance for such perils..?

(I have googled the subject and can find no comprehensive answer thus far)…

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1015451][/postquote]

Simon, Man U and who?????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls