I went through Manchester Airport – twice.

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Celticplumber
    Participant

The worst, most pedantic, most ignorant staff at Manchester Airport are those in the T3 transit area. Even though the passengers have been screened a couple of hours earlier in Amsterdam or Dusseldorf, and have been airside since, they are subject to the worst kind of treatment here. Not only the tardis microwave machine but a full body rub-down and shoes off for everyone it seems. “we do it properly here” is the snarled comment when I dare to question this treatment, suggesting that at the originating airport they don’t? Airport security at its absolute worst with the passenger treated contemptuously. “Welcome to Britain” some German businessmen behind me quipped, rolling their eyes.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=876205]The worst, most pedantic, most ignorant staff at Manchester Airport are those in the T3 transit area. Even though the passengers have been screened a couple of hours earlier in Amsterdam or Dusseldorf, and have been airside since, they are subject to the worst kind of treatment here. Not only the tardis microwave machine but a full body rub-down and shoes off for everyone it seems. “we do it properly here” is the snarled comment when I dare to question this treatment, suggesting that at the originating airport they don’t? Airport security at its absolute worst with the passenger treated contemptuously. “Welcome to Britain” some German businessmen behind me quipped, rolling their eyes.[/quote]

“we do it properly here” – really?

This report stated a judge was less than impressed with their performance

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/23/passenger-tried-take-pipe-bomb-onto-ryanair-flight-jailed-18/

norbert2008
    Participant

I have to use Man from Norwich, please Loganair don’t cut the route. The flight is always pleasant but Man departing is dreadful, the corridors are very cramped getting to and from the lounge is a nightmare and yet BA has a huge lounge for no real reason? T3 cramped and packed at most times of the day, bring on the bulldozers.

capetonianm
    Participant

Manchester airport has had some more negative publicity, about cars being broken into in one of its supposedly secure parking areas, although given that it was in the Daily Mail, I would doubt the veracity and the recency of the information.

canucklad
    Participant

My overall experience is a bit of a mixed bag ……and no different from LHR

And actually the last experience was transiting from a CX flight connecting onto a Fly Be flight up to EDI .
    First thing in the morning , and in an obscure corridor somewhere in building we were greeted with a smile, humour and acknowledgement of our long flight. No dramatics about my duty free bottle of Japanese whiskey (note the spelling) and more bemused curiosity as to why I bought Japanese whiskey when I was heading to the home of the world’s best whiskey.

Then again, maybe their friendly demeanour was down to the fact , in total there was a grand total of 5 of us visiting their security point, so maybe they were just glad for the company.

Overall, the man and lady were a welcome double act, and how all staff welcoming people to the UK should behave. A credit to MAG !!

Johnnyg
    Participant

Capetonianm,

I am afraid it is true re car damage, I know a few people who work there, it’s happened a few times recently as well as having had two vehicles stolen from airside. (Although not in recent weeks) With all the parking and security issues I refuse to fly via Manchester now.

Charles-P
    Participant

[quote quote=876560]having had two vehicles stolen from airside[/quote]

This is a VERY big deal if true. The regulations for anything that happens air-side on a UK airport are stringent to say the least. Near 100% CCTV coverage is common and there are numerous random security checks carried out on staff. The idea that a car could be taken out of the secure zone is very concerning.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls