I received a letter…

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=869937]number was 88.[/quote]

Ha! Lucky Eight!

Reminds me. In 1988 Little Brother was working in HK for a while (normally based in Tokyo at the time). His boss came into the office and reminded everyone that the following week would see a date of 8 August. Eighth day of the eighth month of the 88th year, and there would be racing at Happy Valley.

“We’re all going to bet on the eighth horse in the eighth race, because the Triads simply won’t let it lose.”

They examined the plan from all angles, agreed it was sound, and slapped every single cent of spare cash that they had on the nag.

It came in eighth, to the delight of the Chinese crowd who’d managed to work it out just one step further. LB said that on the final run-in, it was in the first three or four and you could see the jockey glancing around and frantically reining it back until he had seven horses in front of him as they crossed the finishing line.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I have never been BA Gold but I have been Silver for 23 consecutive years. On my 10th anniversary I received a very kind letter from the EC congratuling and thanking me and enclosing a leather luggage tag. When I reached 20 years in 2015 I received hee-haw (Scots for “nothing”). I suppose that sums up BA today.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870296]I have never been BA Gold but I have been Silver for 23 consecutive years. On my 10th anniversary I received a very kind letter from the EC congratuling and thanking me and enclosing a leather luggage tag. When I reached 20 years in 2015 I received hee-haw (Scots for “nothing”). I suppose that sums up BA today.[/quote]

At least they didn’t ask you to send the tag back 🙂

Marc_ACB
    Participant

[quote quote=870073]Durban for[/quote]

ToH2, if you don’t mind me asking, where exactly are you going on Safari? I absolutely love the Northern KZN.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=870073]We’re taking her CW to Durban for a safari holiday at the end of October. That’ll only be her second long-haul flight in CW.[/quote]

Hluhluwe-Imfolozi or Kruger? Either way, have a great holiday.

Swissdiver
    Participant

So today, on a short haul flight, the purser told me in a galley he had a news for me: BAEC 10 years! Well, nice. But I prefered the letter…

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls