How would you name London airports?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

@Canuklad
    However much they use one name or another it is always going to be local – i.e. parochial
    That is why the quirks and quims of such usage means that El Prat will remain the name of Barcelona´s main airport for a generation.

Please explain “Ships Hell Airport”.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Canucklad,

Whenever my friend used to fly to Amsterdam, he used to change the “p” to a “t” to describe the airport!

canucklad
    Participant

HI transtraxman…To your question,I suspect Bath_vip has let the cat out the bag! And I’ve got to say Bath_VIP , in defence of Schipol I’d have though your friends description is a tad harsh ?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Canucklad, I would add LaGuardia to your list – but I confess I’m struggling to think of any others

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Canucklad,

He has changed his tune these days but it was still funny!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

CharlesP. +1 on Jan Smuts. I’m flying through there tomorrow by the way.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘LuganoPirate’ I recommend the sushi bar at Ocean Basket in the domestic terminal (only a short walk from international). Lovely light meal there.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks CharlesP. I’ve eaten many times at Ocean Basket all over SA, the Kingclip is delicious, but I’ve never tried the a Sushi. Your post has emboldened me try it this afternoon after my Kulula flight!

Charles-P
    Participant

Always a favourite of mine, I prefer a light sea food meal before the long overnight flight home. I look forward to your review 🙂

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I don’t mind the end tag to airport names. It is when the lead name is confusing that I object. Frankfurt Hahn is perhaps the most egregious – it is nowhere near the city that forms the first part of its name. And in the UK almost every airport within 2 hours drive of the South East wants to be London something. London Luton and London Stansted we are just about used to. But London Oxford? London Southend?

And then you have perfectly clear names which are changed for marketing. Basel (or Basel-Mulhouse if you must) now tries to get people to call it EuroAirport. Meaningless!

afrance
    Participant

Actually surprisingly OR Tambo stuck quite quickly at JNB, although I do remember having a shock actually seeing a road sign to Jan Smuts probably only seven years ago (just at a shopping centre off the R24 so not that far from the airport!).

That used to be a regular haunt, so much so that one time SA immigration took a look at my (British) passport and said “Welcome home”…

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Completely agree Cedric. I think there should be a rule that it must be possible to get to the named city centre within an hour by public transport to qualify.

I recall that Ryanair used to market Barcelona (Reus) but nowadays they do it the other way around Reus (Barcelona). I prefer that naming convention as it basically saying we are here but it’s not difficult to get to there. On that basis, I wouldn’t have a problem with Southampton (London) and Birmingham (London).

transtraxman
    Participant

On the whole I agree with you.
    Reus(Barcelona) is OK as would be Girona(Barcelona). These are airports rather well away from the main city.
    Southend (London) or Oxford(London) are a fair distance from the capital so might get away with it.
    Hahn(Frankfurt) might put the airport in its place but prove a problem for the marketing people.

If we are going to be pedantic.- Should airports such as Newark be named after New York or New Jersey? What about Milan or Tokyo?
    Even the two airports in(near) Glasgow?

The important thing is who decides the naming?
    I am for the market to decide.

SimonS1
    Participant

The Alex Salmond Prestwick Airport.

Second rate airport, second rate politician.

Rule Britannia.

canucklad
    Participant

Very droll Simon ; ) …… As someone who had to decide how to vote yesterday, I’d much rather listen to someone being positive and happy , than the establishment who still haven’t said one positive statement about what awaits in the future of the UK !!
    And keeping on topic …. Now that we, the whole of the UK are dependant on SE infrastructure to drive economic growth, especially creating and building exports with lets say a developing and maturing middle class market, like Africa , I’m going to suggest a couple of names for London’s main airports , or any airport in the SE that allows for an expansion of traffic …………..

Named after the famous Korean procrastinator…… Kno Thyme Soon
    Named after the Dutch model ……. Miss Der Both

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls