How Up to Date is my Aircraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

As frequent travellers we are so often concerned about lounge access, upgrades, seat comfort and so on, but in light of Air Asia how concerned are we about the aircraft we’re about to fly on having the most up to date equipment?

Whilst not wishing to speculate on what has happened, it seems the A 320, in common with many others, did not have the latest storm detecting radar.

How many aircraft we fly on are using not necessarily outdated, but let’s say not most up to date equipment and is this something we should be more concerned about?

canucklad
    Participant

Morning LP
    Interestingly enough, ages ago, I recall having a chat with an aviation consultant (When Ryanair interiors had “Ausgang” above their doors) that he was far more confident flying FR’s ex ancient LH 737’s than the newer planes in the fleet. His reasoning was that the FR mechanics took far more care and put more love into the older planes than the newer ones.
    I also remember that I once vowed never to fly the 320 or any other Airbus plane after the crash in Paris, when the plane’s systems overridden the captains instructions. Many years later the 320 has now probably become the aircraft I’ve flown the most hours on. Although I’m still not a fan of joystick planes!!

Another consideration is the quality of equipment. I never realised until I was involved in a chat with CX/ Dragonair pilots that like motor parts, airlines can buy varying grades of components. To a man they said they would be reluctant to work for AF, who chose cheaper components than their HK airline (the chat was speculation about AF447 & pitot tubes just after it disappeared) . And in hindsight, its probably better that we don’t know the half of it, and just be content that flying is much,much safer than driving your car.

openfly
    Participant

LP…..the aircraft weather radar is actually a fairly simple system, and has been remarkably accurate since the mid sixties. Most storms show up as red (avoid), Amber (best to avoid) and green (ok if you must). The images, these days, can be transposed onto the main flight instrument screens. The main failing is that the system cannot give a definitive guide to the severity of the turbulence associated. The colours are telling the pilots of the density of the precipitation which in itself gives a good guide to the turbulence to be expected.
    The radar is looking up to 200 miles ahead. But when you are covering the ground at 8 miles a minute, it doesn’t take long to approach an area of bad weather!
    ATC are generally very good at allowing diversions from route for weather avoidance particularly in Europe and the States. It is surprising that the Air Asia was refused, if true.
    So your point about old equipment is true, but in the case of weather radar not so concerning.

CT sun in a weeks time!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

this discussion can be extended well beyond the weather radar…. try asking the same question about the undercarriage of dinosaur 747’s!!

As a passenger or indeed as a pilot. we are very reliant on the aircraft being signed off before each flight and the tech logs maintenance schedules being up to date.

As far as spare parts are concerned… it is not always necessary to buy a brand new part to replace a broken part. There are plenty of healthy spares, sitting in the desert in the Aircraft Cemetery.. All to do with shelf life and TBO…

canucklad
    Participant

Hi Martyn, you’ve got me with TBO ? I’m assuming it somehow refers to being fit for purpose?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Time Between Overhaul

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed Martin – a contact at Gatwick told me the 747 involved yesterday had been in maintenance the day before for a similar issue.

I suppose it’s like an old car. You can give as much maintenance as required but reliability will never be the same.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I take the line of if the pilot is happy to fly it I’m happy to board in most cases. I might draw the line at some of BA’s older longhaul fleet where technical issues seem to be so common.

Only a couple of days ago friends going to JNB were delayed for several hours resulting in missed connections, lost luggage and all the resulting consequences which they are still trying to sort out. Apparently BA manage on time departures on 20% of occasions to JNB with their 747s, they don’t seem to boast about that statistic.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting, thanks Openfly. The article I read spoke about a new radar developed by Qantas which will be retto-fitted to the 320. I think it shows the severity of the storm.

I know what your consultant friend means Canucklad. I feel the same especially where fly by wire is concerned. I cannot help but think MS flight simulator!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls