How to watch British TV online?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

Lourena
    Participant

does anyone know how to watch British TV outside UK? ITV player and 4od shows seem to be blocked …

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

I would like to known that too:P

One option for BBC player if your in Western EU is to pay to use it on your Ipad but this seem rubbish if your not got one. Think it is 4 pound a mouth which is not bad.

A 2nd option is to get a sling box you can control your TV from the net I would link this up to your 2nd Sky box.

A link to see http://uk.slingbox.com/go/slingbox

A third is to use a remote desktop program like apple remote desktop is you have a mac (Don’t use PCs so dont known what program they use), I am not sure if this works Just a Idea. As you can control you home PC/Mac from your laptop or desktop from remote location, this is one way of bypassing the Ip address of the net where you are as the home pc/mac will be on a UK ip address.

A other one if your within the EU area is Sky, but your need a UK address, if your a expat living a lot out side of the UK at one place this is good. If you dont have a UK address there is some companies in Spain that can help with this. Sky cant sell you this out side of the UK and Eire but you can get companies that can help so you can you. This way you dont have to worry about net and you can use it like you would in the UK but box office does not work. You will need a very big dish up to 1.4 to 2 m in size depending where you are.

mathewhens
    Participant

you can try UKTVAccess, works fine for me for 2 years, anywhere I travel I can surf as if I’m in UK with a small price around 4 quid monthly so I get all the TV channels without any pop ups , adds ..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just took a look at the web site, but couldn’t find a list of stations. Do you know if this provides a solution for Sky News?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

If you wish to use a fast and reliable VPN service, I recommend

http://www.streamvia.com/

If you pay twice yearly, the cost is about £3 per month and the connection is stable and quick.

I’ve used a few, this is the only one I’d recommend.

Binman62
    Participant

I used purevpn last month on a trial. Worked well most of the time and they charge by month. Will be looking into streamvia as suggested as need access to tv over Christmas in the USA.

Lourena
    Participant

cheers Mathew 🙂 it’s dynamite! and Martyn the list is
    # BBC
    # ITV
    # Channel 4
    # Channel 5
    but i think sky isn’t included it’s a pay for channel…

transtraxman
    Participant

UKTVAccess works well but the provider gives you STV as well as the four aforementioned groups.

For those who are visiting countries where Digital TV is the norm (TDT or whatever you call it) the sound option on the remote control usually (not always) gives you the option of listening to programmes in the original language. Thus if you are in a hotel the sound option can be used to change a dubbed CSI episode back to English. This is an easy solution for temporary stays.

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

If you have an Apple device, Film On are doing free live streaming of all UK terrestrial channels. Not sure how they can get away with it, but it seems to work well. There is a free app for iPhone and iPad (which suggests it may be legal), and it also streams on Macs. Haven’t checked if it works on PCs.

Binman62
    Participant

Film on….great app thanksvforbtip

Tim2soza
    Participant

To add to DisgustedofSwieqi’s suggestion…

I have just used http://unblockvpn.com and it works perfectly if you want to get to all of the UK catch up services. Basically it reroutes all your web traffic as though it is coming out of the UK.

Watched BBC iPlayer, 4OD and lots of other stuff previously blocked. Instructions were simple to follow, at a cost of $4.99 per month or $49 per year. I am using an iPad, but also can connect via a Windows 7 laptop.

To have access to ‘Have I got News for you’ is a forward step!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would be happy to access Sky News through the Sky News web site through a UK server.

I have tried several options whilst travelling and managed it only once.

stuartv
    Participant

I’ve used Witopia as the VPN to change my apparent location. Used on iPAd, iPhone and Laptop and never had a problem with watching Sky Go, iPlayer, 40D or any other UK TV service. Very simple to set up and use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls