How to improve T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 87 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Becky, unless there has been a sudden change in passenger traffic trends at LHr in the last 6 months, or elsewhere then it’s inablity to manage…. and if they are short of staff, then it’s inabilty to manage retention of staff…..

Anyone know the attrition rate of security staff….??

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Oh come on I doubt I or you could do that job for longer than a day before jacking it in! so it is not retention or management due to them still actively recruiting. LHR security is not world renowned for having the best customer service skills.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Anyone know the attrition rate on LHR security staff?”

Not enough.

canucklad
    Participant

Becky….. i think you’re coming round to my way of thinking…:-)

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Well, as with every other aspect of LHR, you are fairly certain that anywhere else you go will be better. ZRH this afternoon was, as always a pure pleasure in comparison to LHR.

Of the places I go regularly, I can’t think of anywhere worse. I guess it’s about on a par with LOS in the mid 80s. Then again, a bottle of scotch got you very swift clearance there at the time.

Bucksnet
    Participant

We would all like more security check points which are all manned all of the time, with extra staff waiting around to take over when others need a break, but it aint gonna happen.

If all the checkpoints are next to each other, and the first 3 are fast track which are always manned, then it’s got to be faster than what we have at the moment. Obviously if there’s a lot of premium passengers going through in a short time frame it might be quicker to go through one of the others; I can’t imagine someone waiting for fast track when the other ones are free.

Heathrow is focused on maximising revenue from shopping, so I can’t understand why they don’t get people through security quicker. After all, people waiting in a queue are not spending any money are they?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

are BAA still outsourcing security posts to students wanting summer jobs??

SimonS1
    Participant

Maybe the airport could invest in a couple of ‘queue walkers’ to encourage people to get ready and be prepared.

A decent chunk of the delays is still caused by people who walk past two or three signs and then appear surprised when asked to take their coat off or laptop out of their bag.

It happens in both fast track and normal lines, a combination of people who are either half wits or think they are too important to follow what is required.

canucklad
    Participant

Indeed Simon…..

Although, someone who thinks that they are that important, makes a half wit look like a mastermind !

You’re shopping point is well made….what about this for a suggestion…..if passengers have to wait longer than 10-15 minutes clearing security, security has to pay the retailers compensation for loss trade…..

Maybe that would focus the attention!

Binman62
    Participant

” Then again, a bottle of scotch got you very swift clearance there at the time.”

You got off cheaply…..now I got into a spot of bother in Lagos…no names no pack drill……but it costs my employers quite a bit more including the comforts of a couple of ladies of the night in a suite atnthe local Sheraton Hotel along with a substantial cash sum, to extract me from the cell in the basement of Murtala Mohammed airport…. I recall very clearly the bullet holes in the walls and windows but was treated well during my 5 hours in “their care”.

memories are made this……

stevescoots
    Participant

VK, “Gatwick invested £2m to upgrade its signage about a year ago”

3-4 years ago my company quoted the signage to a new bidder on this. I can tell you no way would that have cost 2kk. As with most infrastructure projects the vendor control is an unofficial closed shop by means of beauracracy on the AVL. the signage change over should have been no more than 1KK, including installation as the change was meant to be a strait swop in most cases to LED based systems with additional signage.

stevescoots
    Participant

I actually find T5 ok, the security could be quicker and teh use of walkers would be a big help or some longer Tray/belt stations so more than 2 people can prepare at once. Lounge location is ok and i understand the need as a business for BAA to want to guide us past the Duty Free. As mentioned almost all other airports have a walk to the lounges. Remote terminal needs a small lounge.

other than that, it needs expanding! not sure if I am unlucky but everytime I have used its been very busy both downstairs and in teh lounge

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sorry Steve, but there are many articles clearly stating the cost of changing Gatwick’s signage was in the £1m+ range.

Here is one, which estimates £1.5m:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/baas-yellow-copyright-forces-gatwick-signage-change-340323/

“London Gatwick Airport’s new owner is having to pay around £1.5 million ($2.3 million) to change the long-established yellow-and-black signage around the terminal.”

I can easily understand how the selection of a supplier, design of fonts and icons, wayfinding strategy, planning, removal of old signage, replacement, re-wiring and first year maintenance would reach £1m+

IanFromHKG
    Participant

openfly – 16/02/2013 20:01 GMT : BA controls its own gate allocation at LHR. ATC just pass that information to the crews after landing

Which makes the late announcements of gates particularly unforgivable. Couldn’t they at the very least tell you whether you are leaving from the main terminal building or from the satellites at the time you check in? That way you could settle into the most appropriate lounge and not have the nervous board-watching in case you are in the A lounges and are told, less than half an hour before the gate closes, that you are leaving from T5C?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“I can easily understand how the selection of a supplier, design of fonts and icons, wayfinding strategy, planning, removal of old signage, replacement, re-wiring and first year maintenance would reach £1m+”

First year maintenance is opex, the rest is capex. Shouldn’t mix the two.

£2M for a major airport is petty cash.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 87 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls