How nice to see Willie Walsh and Michael O’Leary united

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

RichHI1
    Participant

Well I watched UK BBC Breakfast time today on BBC news and there were WW amd MO doing a double act setting forward the lunacy of UKAPD. No BRanson but hey you got to start somewhere.

Thought i was dreaming but as BBC repeated it endlessly I guessed not.

Made me think, 1) at last we have some people working together to change things for the better – Big Society Dave – right on… 2) We have all the usual suspects saying 50% tax rate stops tax avoiders coming to UK but it is obvious that the damage this tax does is far greater and more widespread and its repeal would help jump start growth in the economy.

So overall a positive day with a wind of change blowing, I think WW and MO are to be congratulated on this move. Now I guess we will ahve Theresa May saying she was unaware… never authorized it… people must be accountable…

LeTigre
    Participant

How much did they charge the BBC in ancillary press fees?

Binman62
    Participant

ot e time to be reducing taxes….APD to USA in M class = £60
    Aiprort fees = £120 split equally USA / UK airports.
    Fuel surcharge = £175… 3 TIMES HIGHER THAN APD.
    If we are losing tourists due APD then it follows we are losing 3 times as many due surcharges.

Get rid of surcharges have real fares and then we can discuss APD but not until.

Delighted to note that BBC web site commenst almost universally opposed to the demands of BA VS Ryan air……

LeTigre
    Participant

Binman, what you say is so true. Although fuel surcharges are necessary when prices are high, oil is now at $110/barrel, and is continuing to drop, so BA should follow Emirates in not increasing fuel surcharge, but scrapping it altogether. The fuel surcharge is also completely negative for BA’s brand as it is both non-transparent as well as universally hated as a tool more akin of LCCs.

Now Mr Walsh and Mr o’Leary are best friends it is a foregleam of future charges at BA. Although, BA do already charge for seat booking more than 24 hours in advance, which I think is very Ryanair.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Gosh, AirPocket, you really have to do better than that!

This whole thread is a load of poorly articulated cobblers.

I agree with much of what you are all saying, but the jingoistic tendencies and pathetic intellectual punch is really showing through today.

Must try harder.

LeTigre
    Participant

Indeed you must VK, what will your bosses say?

RichHI1
    Participant

I understand VK’s reticence to comment on the behaviour of WW and I expected the usual anto surcharge, anti ETS, let’s join Schengen that we all deteriorate into. But I stand by my view that it is refreshing to see them taking a stand together instead of sniping at each other. We all know they are looking after the interests of their businesses but I got so sick of the BA VS feud and this new co-operative approach is in my belief a welcome step.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Perhaps Willie is hoping that Leary O’Michael can teach him a few things about how to make a profit and how to race fastest to the bottom in terms of standards of service 😉

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Hengli123 and Binman be fair to the airlines about the fuel surchage, i think it is the oil companies which havent reduced there cost of fuel. Its the same at the pumps for cars too, even though the cost has fallen it still cost me a bomb to run it. Agree Its good to see the two Irish men working together, didnt realise WW was so small xx

Potakas
    Participant

Well, BA had record profits with Willie on board 😉

Don’t forget the almost £1bn profit in 2008 (883mn actually).

Willie joined BA in 2005.

BA had since then £2.3bn profit, including the losses that did the last two years.

To be fair, I wasn’t impressed with WW’s presence in the interview, he sounded like a politician. O’Leary was very good.

RichHI1
    Participant

Becky maybe Michael was standing on a box…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls