How Much Cash do you Carry?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, I was never shown a form 5050? The circumstances were really as described, he was very polite and courteous and he noted the visit cards I had received and looked through the list of people I was carrying (and making notes) who were attending a function I was moderating at the evening before (and the reason for my being in London).

I was dressed for comfort traveling Y with Swiss out of LCY with a carry-on bag containing my suit and tie and a laptop bag I use as a briefcase. My cash, ID and credit cards were in my top shirt pocket, so out of sight but certainly not hidden.

I had no problem with being stopped, and I understand in today’s day and age it is often necessary, it’s just that I was within the law and unless he suspected (or discovered) I was carrying more than 10K I should not have been subjected to such treatment.

I appreciate your comments about technology working for you rather than the other way round, and I do try and achieve that. And when it works it’s great. Trouble is, sometimes it does not, and I like to think I’m then prepared.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s not about not being open or transparent:

http://ask-leo.com/why_shouldnt_i_post_my_email_address_in_a_public_forum.html

But you go ahead and post your email address, regardless of good advice, and see what happens….

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

As much as I disagree with much that you say, I would not like to think of you being victim to an identity thief.

The following links give some insight…

http://www.riskythinking.com/articles/article25.php

http://ezinearticles.com/?E-Mail-Identity-Theft&id=440204

MartynSinclair
    Participant

thank you to both VinatgeKrug and Disgusted (yes, I did say thank you to my sparring partner). I have no issue with my hotmail account being in the public domain. All emails and spam are not held on my server or my computer – its hotmail who have the problem not me.

As for ID theft, I have no issue with that either, I am 100% covered under this address. which is why I use hotmail for some of my personal mail and have done so for more years than I care to mention.

As for financial matters – Hotmail will never being used for anything financial or confidential, that remains solely on my personal server.

So VintageKrug, it is all about being open and transparent, as long as you know how to manage the risk. Hence why I do not use a “handle” on forums.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LuganoPirate, my understanding and having also been stopped and searched is that you have to be given, at the completion of the process, a form 5050 which explains why you have been stopped and your legal rights in the event of you feeling you have been unfairly treated.

If the person who stopped you is not showing any identity badges, you have the right to know from which Governement department they belong and the reason for the stop.

I agree about technology sometimes failing, but its all about your own system and making what works for you work. So if your system is to carry £3000 in cash for trips, I see no problem with that whatsoever, as long as you have some documentary or verbal reason as to why you have that amount of cash. The best paper support you can provide is a detailed itinerary along with a letter on company paper or from your bank confirming the source of the funds.

I can not see anyone at an airport being suspicious over that and I am sure you would be on your way within a couple of minutes.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was not given any form after and was shown no ID, though he was wearing an official looking badge round his neck, but I did not think to check it.

Thanks for the advice though Martyn, and tomorrow I shall pay the money to my account, then withdraw it in order to generate a receipt for future travels.

BABenji
    Participant

LuganoPirate,

I have been reading this thread and pondering your position. Your system has obviously worked for you for a number of years and you have only begun to question it as a result of your recent experience.

What are the chances of it happening again? Who knows!?

I work for a Swiss company but live in the UK. I have a CornerCard from Switzerland (I think their call centre is based in Lugano) as my company credit card and I’ve never had an issue with using it in UK . Would you perhaps consider this?

Alternatively, perhaps an HSBC account with international denominations (€, $, £) to make withdrawing cash in at least some countries easy and not too costly?

Failing that, a UK bank account into which you can electronically transfer money from Switzerland ahead of every visit so you can pay with a local debit card and also have the appropriate paper trail for your money.

I appreciate that everyone is an expert in these situations, but I thought I would put forward a couple of ideas.

All the best.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks BA. I know Cornercard very well, Mrs. LP has one and uses it seamlessly throughout the world. Myself I use the Amex/Visa offering for Senators from M&M for the extra miles. I also have a UK account and the full array of HSBC cards! They all work well and I rarely get security calls from them nowadays.

In fact, and perhaps my posting did not make this clear, I do use credit/debit cards frequently, not only for guarantees for hotels and car hire, but also for all manner of payments online, in shops, restaurants (I always tip in cash though) cabs etc. I refuse to use companies that impose a credit card surcharge though or if I have to, will then pay cash if possible.

It’s just that I feel more secure (I’m sure a physciatrist would have a field day with this) with a small wad for when the plastic does not work or when in a hurry and the machine takes ages to give the authorization.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls