How do you learn a local language?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• maxgeorge
    Participant

Be aware of local language sensibilities.

Not a good way to start things off by saying “Bon Jour” in Antwerp, or “Muchas gracias” in Rio.

Brasilians in particular are proud of their portugues, associating Spanish with Paraguayan peons or Argentine stuffed shirts.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Nigel – if there is not an app now for what you describe, there will probably be one by the end of next week 🙂

icenspice
    Participant

Please explain ‘stuffed shirts’ maxgeorge. I have honestly never heard that expression before!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ icenspice – 24/07/2015 10:49 BST

A “stuffed shirt” is, as far as I am aware, a pompous ass/self-important/full of themselves. Hope this helps!

maxgeorge
    Participant

Sorry, icenspice, it must be an Americanism. I live half the year in California, and after a while you mix your colloquialisms without realising it.

A “stuffed shirt” is a pompous buffoon, all hot air and pretension.

Think a Bognor Regis alderman, or Senator John McCain.

Argentinos, and especially Portenos, used to swan around Rio and the resorts of RG do Sul and Parana like royalty in the days before Argentina’s genteel decline, when Brasil was still sleepy and impoverished.

Not unlike the English in Italy in the 30’s.

icenspice
    Participant

And the Portuguese and/or Spanish translation?

maxgeorge
    Participant

“portenos”, you mean?

People of Buenos Aires.

Sorry, I’m using a UK keyboard – no tildes or cedillas.

icenspice
    Participant

Lol max

My iPad keyboard is stuck in French and I have no idée Howard to change it.

Globalti
    Participant

As a modern languages graduate who has lived in Spain and France for a few years my advice would be to go to a bar and get drunk. Alcohol removes your inhibitions and fear of making mistakes is the language student’s greatest hindrance.

K1ngston
    Participant

So here in Singapore I am also going out with a local and I am speaking better English for it 🙂

Martyn, what words in German do you need to know, didnt you learn them first???

Globalti, I so agree with you, drink copious amounts of alcohol and they wont understand a word you say, and you wont give a toss!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Globalti – 10/09/2015 09:34 BST

You are clearly onto something there – the Brits being notoriously reticent/up their fundaments when it comes to “risking” making a mistake in another language. Beyond getting “lubricated” to remove the inhibitions, my other longer-term advice is try the local food as well and then dabble further afield with the locals (of whichever gender is your proclivity). There is – or so I am told – nothing like a bit of pillow talk to give your language learning a kick start,

Sorry, this is starting to read like an agony aunt column.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Globalti – 10/09/2015 09:34 BST

You are clearly onto something there – the Brits being notoriously reticent/up their fundaments when it comes to “risking” making a mistake in another language. Beyond getting “lubricated” to remove the inhibitions, my other longer-term advice is try the local food as well and then dabble further afield with the locals (of whichever gender is your proclivity). There is – or so I am told – nothing like a bit of pillow talk to give your language learning a kick start.

Sorry, this is starting to read like an agony aunt column.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls