How decent are KLM in economy?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Speedbird189
    Participant

Willing to try them via AMS, how good are they as compared to Lufthansa? Would fly Economy or Comfort, how is food, IFE et al? Does anyone have any experiences with them – thanks in advance.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Speedbird189 – It will really depend on the route and the aircraft type.

I can’t comment on the food, IFE etc.

However, KLM’s B747s remain, like other airlines, at 10-across. But its B777s are being reconfigured 10-across so if you were to take this aircraft it would make sense to pay a little more for economy comfort.

Here’s some info about KLM’s new slimline economy class seating:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101041/klm-revamps-b777-economy-seating

MarcusGB
    Participant

Hi Speedbird.

I have flown KLM for over 20 years and often use them Economy comfort in Europe, though more Business long haul.

Economy comfort in Europe they have few seats for, but you basically get a business seat pitch, just not the middle seat free. Though it is a short hop over to AMS (not sure if you fly ex UK regionally or from LHR?), well worth the extra space and up to rows 3-8.

They have renewed almost their entire European fleet, so have young 737-700 / 800/ 900’s. These are spotlessly kept. New composite designed seats that are stronger, add more space and a very comfortable journey individually, with more space around each one. They have not added more rows either. They are finishing off the F70’s replacing them with Embraer 175’s, and E195’s already full fleets.

Not sure where you will fly to, or from which UK Airport, but i think you will be comfortable and have a positive experience with them.

Check the KLM.com website for the Premium meal options, select your Economy Comfort seats when you book. Well worth the very modest charge for the comfort zones on all flights.

I find them the best Airline in Europe.

Long haul they have The KLM new cabins, on their fleets of 772 ER’s and new 773 ER’s. The economy seats are also new, but they do have 10 across on the 777’s. Economy Comfort is well worth it at the front of the cabin, and the extra room feels spacious.
    Food and service is very good long haul (a decent sandwich and coffee in Europe), but you can also pre-order /purchase i think one of 5/6 upgraded meals. these are variable and tend to be with a cultural theme, like and Indonesian tray for eg.

IFE is new along with the seats and cabins, good responsive screens easy to navigate, good choice. it is not premium economy nor almost double the fare, it can be around £50-80 long haul, but well worth the extra, and a themed upgraded meal, for about £12. So you can have the premium trimmings without having to pay double as with other Airlines.

Depending on the route and Aircraft, you could well travel on a 789 Dreamliner, these are superb.

For me KLM is the best European Airline, with consistent new cabins, new 737’s , long haul 777-300ER’s & dreamliners. Check your route, and the aircraft used, they will mix them through the week on Asian routes for eg. Where you can go for the Dreamliner or 777-300ER’s.

They have very good fares worldwide EX all the regional Airports in the UK also. You have Schiphol, just refurbished and a pleasure to go through.
    Let us know how you experience your flights, and enjoy.

Edski777
    Participant

Marcus

+1 Maybe not as good on IFE as EK, but definitely better than LH. Food is decent for airline food. Service and personnel is probably the best by far compared with any other European airline. Absolutely much better than anything form the US.

JayLibove
    Participant

I was “treated” to KLM’s brand new (first day of flight for the reconfigured aircraft) B777 10-abreast coach seating on a flight to Fukuoka a couple of years ago. The seats aren’t bad as far as seats go, KLM service remains competent, IFE good, BUT I will not fly B777 10-across. If the seat next to you is empty is fine, but otherwise you have to be lucky enough to have a tiny person next to you to have any hope of being comfortable on e.g. AMS-FUK for 11+ hours. 10-across is wrong on the B777, KLM service or no.
    And KLM do not offer a real premium economy (which should be 8-abreast on the B777), so, no more KLM longhaul for me if it’s operated by B777 aircraft.

sparkyflier
    Participant

If the long haul flight was on a 747 or A330, I would happily fly them.

If on a 787 or 777 I would avoid it like the plague due to the horrendous seating.

KSHaggag
    Participant

KLM,though not very luxurious ,it remains among the BEST carriers in the world for reliability and efficiency .It is a charming airline generally speaking and the veterans of KLM being cabin crew members who have been around for 20-30-40 years are great ambassadors of the airline around the world ;you feel how much pride they find in their jobs !! this is a unique feature that you will never feel with GCC based carriers where people simply don t belong .
    KLM 747-400 ( albeit in Business Class ) remains my favorite cabin in the sky ;it is so spacious and comfy !!!
    Schiphol airport is among the BEST you can ever go through for arrival,departure and even better to catch a connection .
    GO FOR KLM !

andystock
    Participant

I would say apart from the 10 across seating on the 777 KLM is a much better airline in economy than BA.

If you are on a A330 or a 747 the seating is fine. The service is much more friendly than BA, the food seems to be better than BA in terms of quality and quality. I paid for the Indonesian rice table dish and was impressed by the presentation, quality and freshness for economy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls