How Covid killed the Queen (of the skies)

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Seat62k
    Participant

I chanced upon this snippet on BBC News channel last night.

Some lovely memories and reminiscences from pilots, crew, engineers, etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000n98t/the-virus-that-killed-the-jumbo-jet

5 users thanked author for this post.

prosborn
    Participant

Thank you for the post. Sadly, BBC iPlayer (visual not radio) is not available outside of the UK. Never has been.
    And I suspect now that the people of UK have even more control of their iPlayer, this breach of democratic rights to defy geolocation will be further strengthened.
    Paul
    – Europe (over here!)

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Google the title, and you can access it through YouTube.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I am sure there are many of us, who are truly saddened to see the demise of this aircraft.

Flying a 747 with most carriers was always a joy; it’s sheer beauty & presence was candy for the eyes, the sight of the four engines (many with the Rolls Royce logo) & the re assuring sound as they spooled up their power, propelling this majestical bird into the sky. I always enjoyed boarding by steps at certain airports.

Even my mother shed a tear at the demise of BA’s 747s, and that’s saying something. Our family has been fortunate to fly in BA’s 747s for over 45 years, since the early 1970s when it was BOAC.

RIP – Queen of the skies

2 users thanked author for this post.

Stowage222
    Participant

I missed this Seat – thanks for sharing.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The Virus that killed the Jumbo Jet – BBC Documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95i7qyiL1xE

Inquisitive
    Participant

I liked the Jumbo jet very much and was sad to see those go.

But the COVID did not kill the B747. With new planes incorporating modern technology, it was impossible to stay in business for the 4-engine aircraft just like the A340.

A modern B777 and A350 can carry almost same numbers of passengers in 3 class configuration as in B747. So cost per passenger seat is way lower in newer aircrafts. Even A380 is going out of business for the same reason.

So the new technology killed the B747.

I believe the future of air travels will be mainly tourists packed in economy in efficient aircrafts like A350, A320, B737 and B787. Business travel will reduce considerably, as all business can see now business can be managed with less travel; however business class could be increasingly filled-in by comparably richer people for their leisure travel.

cwoodward
    Participant

The iPlayer is relatively easy to view behind a clocker outside of the UK providing you set it up properly with a BBC/ITV UK account as is ITV and Channel 4.
    I have an address and commercial property in the UK for which I purchase a TV license. Not necessary at all as the UK premises have no TV but it makes me feel comfortable about using the iPlayer illegitimately outside of the UK.
    Properly set up all works perfectly but the accounts do need a little time to set up properly otherwise the user will be constantly kicked off.
    BTW the BBC a a free to view online downloadable ‘BBC Player’ that is legitimately viewable across Asia.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1087375]But the COVID did not kill the B747. With new planes incorporating modern technology, it was impossible to stay in business for the 4-engine aircraft just like the A340.[/quote]

Fully agree. Even Branson dropped his “4 Engines 4 Long Haul” crusade when it no longer suited him (like his starting grids, planes running on chip fat and other PR stunts).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls