How could airport security be improved?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

craigwatson
    Participant

As someone suggested, I am starting a new thread on peoples opinions on how to improve security.

I’ll go first ( just a warning this is *NOT* politically correct )

A combination of racial profiling and a common sense approach, ie. Granny and Gramps with the grandkids off for a weekend jaunt, wave them through – no checks whatsoever, and leave it up to security who gets a wave through and who goes for further checks.

FFP’s with new and improved FFP cards with photo’s on your membership card, wave them through.

The majority go through with no checks and random checking of say 20%.

esselle
    Participant

The motivation of security personnel needs to be improved. I suggest being more generous with their chewing gum allowance would be a good starting point.

NTarrant
    Participant

The process of security is fine as it is, but there are two things which I believe would make the process quicker and easier.

1. There has been an improvement in the personel employed recently that I have noticed, but I do think that the calibre of some of the people is not particularly good.

2. I have always advocated “floor walkers” who advise people in the queue to remove jackets, have you got you liquids out etc. Its okay for us that know the routine, but to the irregular traveller they don’t know and hold things up. Having said that there are still regular travellers who wait until they get to the trays.

They should also not be chewing gum either!

first_class_please
    Participant

With the current technology around, why do I need to take off jacket, belt, shoes, watch, coins out of pocket, laptops out of hand luggage??

Surely the relevant technology should be able to work out what everything is by now?

VintageKrug
    Participant

It has to be profiling, unpleasant though that is to many…

Tim2soza
    Participant

1. Profiling and consistency, and staffing to match demand with paid for Fastrack at all locations.

2. Collect a ticket to get a time slot to go through security, so that instead of standing in line, you can spend money in the shops, go to the loo or do something better than standing in a queue. (Use the theme park process)

Binman62
    Participant

Profiling is certainly one idea and one I would support albeit with reservations.

When you consider how much information agencies and authorities have about us I do not see why this cannot be used. Tickets bought in advance and a series of on line questions answered = one route through security whilst last minute bookings and answers that do not tally = another route.

Security should be before checkin and departure areas / terminals available only to passengers. This may require a redesign but T5 for example, could do this simply by removing shops!

Above all a common security process across the EU at the very least. This would allow transit passnegers to by pass security at LHR. It is mad that someone coming from Frankfurt having just flown needs to do it all again.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

The idea of the floor walker is a very good, especiallly during very busy periods. I am sure mothers with small children and elderly pasengers would be gratefull for the assistance.

Binman i doubt that T5 will go through a redesign or have the shops removed as it just won 1st places in two categories in the recent SKytrax awards

Terminal 5, London Heathrow Airport named the world’s Best Airport terminal by airline customers

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2012/terminal.htm

Airline customers name London Heathrow Airport as the world’s Best Airport for Airport Shopping

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2012/shopping.htm

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, T5 without the shops would be a less enjoyable experience; I often dabble in a little light retail when jetting off, and it is amongst the best airport retail experiences in the world.

Removing the shops would also massively reduce BAA’s income and require increased charges on all passengers to fund BAA’s laudable investment programme of which T5 is itself a product.

BAA is investing more in security (viz. the new security arranagements at T5 South) and there’s some more interesting stuff in the pipeline.

esselle
    Participant

One of the points which is evident is that commonality leads to certainty, and once this exists, those who have evil intent can find ways around the system.

It is the random and seemingly inconsistent nature of security which in itself enhances it’s effectiveness.

Thus, you ping the arch even if you are clean, your bag gets “sniffed” by a sensor for no apparent reason, and you don’t know if shoes have to come off or not.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

When talking about airport security improvements’ are we all specifically targeting LHR or airports across the world?

Its interesting to read that Narita airport won first place in Skytrax Best Airport Security Processing. If anyone has flown to NRT before is would be nice if you could share your experiences of security there of how they do things compared to other airports.

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Awards_2012/security.htm

Bucksnet
    Participant

We need to consider Israeli security methods and processes, which look at the human factor.

The Israeli airport security system is widely considered the best in the world and focuses on profiling. Mostly female agents ask passengers a number of questions, and split them into 2 groups before they even get near an x-ray scanner. The agents are looking for nerves or inconsistent statements, and some 2-5% of passengers get additional screening.

While I have never been to Israel and have read the above over the years, it should be noted that no plane departing Tel Aviv airport has ever been hijacked.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

** the need to remove most outer garments, shoes, lap top / computers out

** the intrusive body searches including hands down waist bands and groin areas being touched

With the technology currently being used at airports, I dont see the need for either of the above to still be part of the protocol.

I also beleive that if the security personel were to look half professional and had an air of authority, rather than “gum chewing students and only job I could get” brigade, passengers would begin to take security more seriously.

Good thread Craig.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls