Hotels using Covid as a reason not to service rooms

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing hotels (in my case 3* and 4*) not servicing rooms ‘because of Covid arrangements’?

It’s happened to me twice, recently, in the UK, but not abroad.

To throw gas on the fire, the lack of servicing was not mentioned on check in and when raised, brought a response of ‘you need to request servicing, if you need it’.

Something of a Kafkaesque puzzle, blaming the customer for failing to know the uncommunicated.

Switzerlanding
    Participant

Having exactly the same issues with Accor properties in Germany (this week) and France in last few months. I know that SPG used to offer points if you declined cleaning, shame these cost cutting measures aren’t rewarding the customers and now simply blamed on staffing…

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Depending on the length of stay, room servicing is not really a must for me. Currently in Sweden where in my first hotel in Stockholm (2 nights), if you opt not to have your room serviced the hotel makes a donation of, I think, 200 SEK to a charity that supports abused sex workers, certainly a worthwhile cause. In Östersund (again 2 nights), the no servicing case was presented on environmental grounds which, again, I availed of. In both cases, communication and choice was very clear – no mention of COVID!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1243614]if you opt not to have your room serviced the hotel makes a donation of, I think, 200 SEK to a charity[/quote]

I will gladly offer the same hotel a donation to charity (in their name) if they reduce my hotel room rate by 50%.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lamb
    Participant

A lot of the issues stem from COVID but are not COVID related a lot of hotel just do not have the staff end of story.

I stayed in a 4 star property for 6 nights and at check in I was told cleaning would only be done if I request it and that I can get fresh linens from the laundry room on each floor

1 user thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

[postquote quote=1244846]

Totally agree but it would nice if this was reflected in the room rate!

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1244909]Totally agree but it would nice if this was reflected in the room rate![/quote]

All of us (I am sure) have experienced seeing the notice in hotel bedrooms asking guests to retain their towels – and more recently the bed sheets – for more than one night (“to save the environment”).

When these notices first appeared I asked every hotel in which I saw them whether they would reduce my room rate to reflect their savings on time (for the room cleaners) and laundry costs. Not once did I receive a favourable response, so I gave up asking in the end.

Do I retain the towels? Not usually. The bed sheets – yes, but for up to two or three nights only.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls