Hotel swimming pool concerns following Spanish tragedy

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I like many others, take advantage of hotel leisure complex’s, including swimming pools. This article (which I initially read in the Sun), but since found on Allen Wilson’s linkedin profile, worries me. Mr Wilson appears to have excellent credentials as a swimming pool design and safety consultant.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/tragic-pool-deaths-spain-christmas-allen-wilson/?trackingId=bk9HH4viSn%2BCqmTvk4mM1A%3D%3D

I realise this tragedy only happened recently, but the Spanish already claim it was just a tragic accident. Mr Wilson however, believes that it was down to swimming pool design and the number of outlets.

I am not an engineer & neither do I believe in dramatics or sensationalism, but I have to say, this article worries me and makes me concerned about using hotel pools until there is some further clarity.

Any reassurance out there from posters…

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

The article makes a number of good points which answer some of my questions, for example why nobody else had experienced the same level of suction.

I know from personal experience that the suction on the outlets can be strong enough that you have to pull quite hard to a free a limb that is held. For a small child that would not be possible and could be fatal, for an adult it’s just a bit of fun.

Of the many countries where I have stayed in hotels, the only country where I have experienced serious safety related concerns has been Spain, and Spain is the only country where, when pointing out potential problems, the management have been confrontational, and unpleasant in denying the problem.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

It is worrying, whether you’re a swimmer or just use the pool to cool down. The Spanish authorities may be covering up a fault or poor design.

Around 2008, the Eastenders’ actress Jessie Wallace had a similar experience in Cyprus. The top came off the filter in the children’s pool of a well-known Paphos hotel. She got sucked in. About 20 holidaymakers were trying to pull her out, one holding her head above the water. No lifeguard was present at that pool either. The hotel brushed the incident aside, just “plugging” the hole. She was treated in hospital, as skin had been torn off her legs. Subsequently, she decided not to take any further action, instead vowing never to return to the island.

Wonder how many popular resort pools also have faults of this kind?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls