Hotel in Sydney

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

lala529lala529
    Participant

Hi,

My friend is going on a business trip in January and he asked me to look for a hotel for him and he needs one with some conference rooms because he will hold some meetings with some clients. i was looking on http://hotel.twenga.co.uk/australia/sydney.html and on http://www.expedia.com.au/Sydney-Hotels.d178312.Travel-Guide-Hotels, some are very expensive, and some i don’t know if they have a conference rooms! actually i’m not really good at it!
    does anyone know a nice reasonable hotel that has a meeting room?

thanks for your help, with the christmas holidays, i don’t have much time to look for it properly! 🙁

bye!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Lee

I would recommend the Intercontinental Sydney; it is not the least expensive, but it has a terrific location overlooking the harbour and is one of the closest hotels to the Sydney Opera House. Book a Club Room as the top floor lounge is excellent, especially for breakfast and evening drinks.

The Hyatt and Four Seasons are probably excluded on grounds of cost.

I would recommend the Hilton and Sheraton, neither of the two Marriotts are anything special, though nothing objectionable about them. Another option would be the Westin, which is very central for the CBD; probably the best option for business, with the Hilton a close second.

Alternatives slightly further out of the CBD (five minutes in a cab) would be the vibe hotel in Rushcutter’s Bay, which would be less expensive and has a slightly more edgy/youthful feel:

http://www.vibehotels.com.au/default.asp?page=/vibe-locations/sydney-hotels/vibe-hotel-rushcutters

Tim2soza
    Participant

I recently stayed in http://www.bayviewhotels.com/boulevard – Views of the Opera House and bridge, 10 mins walk to Waterfront, within CBD and easy train ride from the airport. Good restaurant within and lots of good places to eat nearby. Reasonable price too.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Tim

Hmm. The Bayview is visible from my apartment, but never somewhere I would consider recommending unless budget was the primary concern.

The view looks great (I hadn’t realised it was so good) and it is easy to walk into the CBD, but it’s on a noisy road and while “easy for access to anywhere” is not actually anywhere you’d particularly choose to be.

Would it impress clients pitching up for a meeting?

Tim2soza
    Participant

I guess it depends on one’s budget. The days when I could waltz into a top branded 5* joint (and stay there) are long gone.

The views on the upper floors, and from the Restaurant are very good. Road noise was not something I noticed although you are quite correct in saying that it is not a quiet backstreet.

I found the hotel to be excellent value for money, and in the 3*+ range of things. You won’t bump into rock stars and celebs for sure. I’d certainly stay there again, and I am moderately fussy about quality of room etc.

Oh, and my client was in the next door building, but I accept that a 10 min walk or cab ride might be order of the day to get to where one needs to be!

Excellent pub across the street too. Wonder if they are watching the 2nd test there later this week!

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

lala, I would recommend either the Westin or the Sheraton on the Park. Both are very central in the CBD, but that means they generally don’t have fantastic views. The others mentioned by VK (Intercontinental, Park Hyatt, Four Seasons) do have fantastic views, but are more expensive and actually not situated quite as centrally. I’m not a fan of the Hilton; the rooms are tiny.

If the budget doesn’t stretch to any 5 stars, then perhaps look at some four stars such as the Four Points on Darling Harbour. All of the hotels listed have conference facilities.

LindsayW
    Participant

As a resident of Brisbane and a frequent traveller to Sydney (and user of hotels), I have to agree wholeheartedly with JohnPhelanAustralia’s choices and his dislike for Sydney Hilton.

Whilst the IC can be reasonably priced and has stunning views (and proximity to trains, Circular Quay, Opera House and ferrries), it is on the CBD fringe. Having said that, I’ve never stayed there.

The Westin is the most centrally located (middle of George Street). I’ve stayed there numerous times due to proximity to my clients (on George Street). An easy walk to anywhere and nice conference facilities. Walk down to Wynyard (train station) is about 400 metres; or up to Town Hall.

Sheraton on the Park is on the upper fringe of the CBD and directly opposite St James (train station). It has great views overlooking Hyde Park and good conference facilities. 3 blocks down to central CBD, a little further to Circular Quay (I’d catch the train).

If happy to look to Darling Harbour, the Four Points Darling Harbour I would rate alongside Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour. The Four Points is a little older and rooms aren’t to the same quality as Crowne Plaza.

Presumably your friends’ clients are based in Sydney. A lot may depend on price and conference facilities, rather than the room.

lala529lala529
    Participant

oh thanks everyone, i’ll check all these hotels, they sound all great! and ask what my friend prefers! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls