Hotel in Singapore

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Intercontinental would be my choice. Great location and really super staff.
    I have also stayed at the Conrad and Grand Hyatt but would choose the Intercont over these,the others did not impress me at all. Not an over the top hotel, but class and elegant and staff who really care.

PerthWA
    Participant

Truly depends where you want to be and what you want to do since its a leisure trip, you can’t beat Shangri La. If you want ‘action’ Marina Bay Sands. You need to shop Grand Hyatt or for a bit of old world charm the Goodwood – that’s Orchard Road. Avoid at all costs the over priced simply underwhelming Capella at Sentosa. In fact if you can’t score an invite to a private home at Sentosa Cove, avoid altogether. But then if you have kids with you, Hard Rock is fun and you might also love the W. Spoilt for choice in Singapore… absolutely – oh and for something completely different on a budget The Sultan. Enjoy!

SwissExPat
    Participant

I always stay at the Conrad… exec floor…. can never complain.

Hktbound
    Participant

JH-1234 +1 – yes Shangri-la Valley Wing every time!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Shangri-La or sometimes if I want to be at the other end of town, the Fairmont but make sure you stay on the club floor otherwise it’s a bit of a zoo.

If you want an olde world experience there’s always the Grande Dame herself just over the road from the Fairmont and the Swissotel.

ccCookie
    Participant

I live in Dubai and Singapore is a favourite destination. This July will be my 20th visit, after which I’ll have stayed 174 nights over 24 different hotels (including 1 night at a ‘Hotel 81’ … don’t go there.)

A friend asked my advice once, and what follows is essentially what I wrote for them. They chose Merchant Court, and thought it perfect.

First, if you need to save money on transport by taking the MRT, you shouldn’t go to Singapore; you can’t afford to leave your room. So never mind if the hotel has proximity to such (although most reasonable hotels will be fairly close to one.) Taxis are inexpensive, and usually plentiful (but do be careful about timing; for example, don’t try to leave Orchard Road in a taxi at 5 pm.)

A room will cost about 200 SGD for something basic, to about 500 SGD for something fantastic (or much more money, but in this case you’re probably looking at a hotel on Sentosa Island, and you don’t want to go there.)

As noted by others, it will depend on your budget, interests, and whether you’re travelling with wife and kids.

All of the hotels I recommend can be found on Booking.com (for example) and that website would be a good place to look them up and see photos and the like. TripAdvisor is another good source of general information about hotels, top attractions, etc.

If you are travelling with children: This would be the only reason for being trapped on Sentosa Island. Stay at Siloso Beach Resort; while a bit of a dump (and not so expensive for this reason), it has an awesome pool (replete with waterfall for kids, inner tubes to float on, etc.) Close proximity to beach and go-cart rides, …

If you are single and a nighthawk (or a youngish couple that likes fun and music/dancing): Stay at Swissotel, Merchant Court. Right on river and across from Clarke Quay (a night life hub.) Also has a nice pool. Easy walking distance to Chinatown. (Sits almost on top of an MRT … but, remember, you don’t care about that.)

If travelling as single/couple and require opulence: Stay at Fullerton Bay Hotel. Very expensive already, and so may as well get Bay view room. No Bay view? Then don’t stay there. If you instead stay at the Fullerton Hotel, you can still use the Fullerton Bay amenities (including pool and bar on top floor with the awesome view of Marina Bay Sands.) Mandarin Oriental is also awesome (careful … not ‘Marina Mandarin’ and not ‘Mandarin Orchard’). Get a room overlooking Marina Bay Sands. These 3 hotels, while awesome, all have the same drawback. They are very expensive, and you’re not going to Singapore to sit in a hotel room; so why pay all the money.

Other central choices include the Carlton Hotel (not Carlton City Hotel) and Swissotel, The Stamford. They’re both fairly close to most things. I’ve walked to Orchard road from both. You don’t want to stay on Orchard Road (even if you like shopping.) If you choose the Stamford, get a room with harbour view and below level 39; you can no longer access the balcony from 39 and above.

Two other possibilities: First, The Scarlet Hotel; get the ‘premium’ room (others, including ‘executive,’ are too small.). Very interesting decor, Club Street is around the corner, Chinatown a couple minutes away. As a couple, we have enjoyed this hotel. I wouldn’t go there as a single. Second, one that I’ve never stayed at, but looks very interesting: Hotel Vagabond. It is relatively new, but has rave reviews. A bit out of the way, and rooms are small. Take a look at the website.

One more thing. I wouldn’t stay in club. Again, you’re not going to Singapore to sit at a hotel, are you? And club draws you back to the hotel for your ‘free’ food and drink, when you should be enjoying the city. There are too many other possibilities in Singapore to be stuck at the hotel.

Go to TripAdvisor and look at some reviews of things. Some people have many reviews of various places in Singapore; you can follow a link and read them. They have good suggestions as to where to go, eat, etc. But be careful, some people think all places are magnificent. So find a reviewer that occasionally gives a poor review.

Finally, you don’t want to stay at Marina Bay Sands. Rather, your preference should be to stay somewhere where you can look at it. Try the bar/restaurant OverEasy (1 Fullerton Road); splendid view of MBS. Happy hour is weekdays 5 – 8 pm (prices are high in Singapore for alcohol … but a large bottle of Tiger may be had in Chinatown cheaply … while you’re eating your Black Pepper Crab.) Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls