Hotel Cleaning Staff – To Tip or Not?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• ChesterSimons
    Participant

I am with you on that Jayarrjay. Best tip i can give people who rely on tips to make up their pay is to find a job where their employer pays them a better wage. I too am fed up with employees in company uniform who have a job to help, i.e. kerb side porters who move bags a couple of yards from car to check in, expecting tips to do what effectively they are employed to do. I know it is an American culture, but as an American, I have a right to complain about this.

I recently got a quote for a limo and recieved the standard quote plus tip. I have no issue in paying a tip but I do when it can not be invoiced and can not be reclaimed as a legit company expense. I usually ask the company to include the tip in the bill, however, the employees complain becasue they never get the money.

I suppose there is something to say for the mafia, at least they control the extortion a little more effectively!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/24/hotel.housekeeping.tipping/index.html?hpt=tr_c1

How many of us tip hotel cleaning staff? I have to admit that I dont, instead, at the hotels where I am a regular customer and usually ask for the same chamber maid to look after my room when I stay, I buy a gift instead.

A hotel tariff should include all costs. In todays environment when services in “normal” hotels (excluding the top end 5 star hotels) are being made more economical, I dont see why tips should be expected by staff. If it is considered as part of their renumeration package, then I would expect my room rate to be reduced.

Or is it going ot become the norm to tip all workers who provide client/customer facing service.

I am sure that cabin crew would welcome the opportunity to receive tip, perhaps they already do, I just would expect to have to tip in these circumstances.

Maybe I am wrong, but I would be interested to hear, especially in view of the above article – or is it just relevant in the grand old US of A?

stevescoots
    Participant

I never tip hotel cleaning staff, but then I am pretty anal when it comes to keeping my room clean myself. they have a really easy time cleaning my room!

I only tip the baggage guys, waiters and thats it.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@VK
    You wrote: “I have been to places in the US which have an envelope with a suggested tip of between 10%-15% which can add up to hundreds to your resort bill. Crazy!”
    Don’t go to Nassau! There is there a mandatory housekeeping gratuity that is charged by the hotels (resulting from some kind of agreements with the unions).

I am also quite inconsistent when tipping housekeeping staff. In general though I do tip to reward an employee for something special (extra coffee for instance) or when staying longer. And I tend to tip more often in Asia than in Europe or the USA.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ll tip the chambermaid when they bring me extra pillows, towels and so on. I rarely tip if staying just a night or two in an unfamiliar hotel. When staying at hotels I use frequently, and where i get to know the staff, I always tip when I leave. They get to know my habits, my likes and dislikes and so I feel as they have looked after me so well they deserve a “thank you”.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@LP: And after tipping you deserve a better service when you come back 🙂 Well, I am afraid I think the same way 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Great minds Swiss;-) And it usually pays off. I’ve had room upgrades, extra large fruit bowls, jumbo sized Molton Brown shampoos replaced daily (makes Mrs. LP very happy) and so on.

RichHI1
    Participant

I don’t feel well. I am agreeing with people… I do as Lugano, for non feather pillow requests on late arrivals, overflowed baths as well as technical stuff like fixing A/C and TV I tip well. I do not normally tip for regular service. I do believe in being polite and always saying hello and wishing staff good morning, good evening etc. Only exception is Christmas Day and Thanksgiving when I reckon giving up on your family to change my sheets deserves something extra.
    As regards VK’s comments and others that it is US based. I think it is true that the industry in US tries to promote it (so they can pay less) but talking with friends I do not think Americans actually tip more frequently than Europeans or Asians overall (some country cultures have no tipping at all). What is different is the US expectation on tips is greater in restuarants or cabs around 20% whereas in UK I would reckon 15% and in some other countries 10%.
    As an afterthought reading the comments about getting upgrades and better service and tipping airline staff… Tipping as a reaction to a past event ie good service is not a problem but giving someone money in expectation of added value or services gets close a legal issue particularly with frequent travellers where over a year substantial sums could be involved.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Rich: Hehehe. Was waiting for such a remark (your last paragraph). As long tipping is not prohibited (actually it is encouraged as you noticed), then everything is fine. After all why not paying more to get more?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls