Hong Kong “to reopen downtown airport check-in service next month”

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

Some more details on this. Cathay will be the sole airline offering in-town check-in services, and only from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. MTR Corp. said Monday. Airport check-in at Kowloon Station remains suspended. Prior to the pandemic, other airlines also had counters at the station and they were open for longer. 

cwoodward
    Participant

The above announcement 6 days ago is correct ‘at this time’ however it outlines only Wednesdays reopening situation.

It seems that it was the shortage of available labour by MTR and airlines that prevented the service reopening sooner and good to see that a start has been possible.
    While there is yet no official announcement that the Kowloon service will reopen it would be odd if this did not happen as there is significant demand.
    Other airlines that previously offered the popular service will likely reopen progressively as their websites list the service as being ‘temporarily suspended’ and both HK Express and Hong Kong Airlines it seems have already indicated that they soon will again offer the service.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Is the fact this was part of an announcement 6 days ago important Cwoodward? Or a bit of a miffed reaction from you for not posting the details earlier? The details are correct and relevant to the forum and travellers, let’s focus on the current facts. ‘Temporarily suspended’ has been the case for the past 3 years, why do you suppose they haven’t restarted if there are no staff shortages and HK is booming, as you often report?

cwoodward
    Participant

AinHK

There was of course absolutely no need for me to post a repeat of of this news and why you posted a repeat a week after the original I am not sure.
    It is the words ‘ Temporarily suspended’ that are important in context of the reopening and the airlines website messages re this as it has a somewhat different meaning from ‘cancelled’ and intended to convey that the service is intended to resume.

Please do fell free to focus on what ever takes your fancy without prior reference to me. I am sure no one will object if your well meaning information is a little out of date providing that it has something useful to impart to business travellers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Woodpecker
    Participant

As with most cases here in HKG, reverting back to normal is a gradual process. It would be unrealistic to expect the two Airport Express stations to be fully functional, especially when reopening after over three years.

As understood that pre covid when operations at these Airport Express Stations were from appx 5:30AM to 11:30PM, these required staff to be working two shifts. Three years of closure resulted in these staff terminated/transferred/reassigned, and authorities now are scrambling to hire fresh staff, hence the decision to first commence only one Airport Express Station from 6AM to 3PM.

It is hoped by the end of the year both the Hong Kong & Kowloon stations would operate pre covid timings. As for only having CX check-in available, this I suspect is financial. Airlines need to bear the cost/reimburse ground handling staff at these two stations, and currently airlines other than CX may not have the daily flight volume to justify the additional expense.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls