HKIA operating with 30% fewer workers

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

Local media report over the weekend. HKIA is operating with 53,000 workers, about a third fewer than the 78,000 it had before the Covid-19 pandemic. The Board of Airline Representatives of Hong Kong, which includes more than 70 carriers, said the manpower woes were affecting the ability of carriers to reinstate flights and add capacity to meet strong demand from travellers.

Qantas mentioned this reason earlier in the year. I certainly haven’t noticed any delays on arrival, lines have been fairly long at check in and immigration (for HK standards), I hadn’t realised despite living in HK for 8 years that I was able to use a priority line at the security check, thanks to the forum for enlightening me to that.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

My understanding of the piece in the SCMP and other perhaps tabloid reports was that labour COULD effect the carriers ability to reinstate quickly more flights unless more workers were available.
    Given that currently by best estimates the airport is handling about 70% of its pre pandemic traffic but forecast to rise to 80% prior year end airlines will need more workers.
    As Andrew and others mention currently the airport is copping well and efficiently unlike many.

There is no actual shortage of available suitable workers in Hong Kong but it seems that many who used to work the low paid shift type work at the airport are reluctant to return – this given the low wages still being offered by the very people (the airlines) that have raised a pending problem.
    The government has recently allowed day workers from over the border to be employed for manual apron ground handling work and this will ease any shortage in that area.

Cathay it seems responded to their shortage of labour by raising salaries and giving workers a bonus and thus have been able to operate to their forecasts of returning to pre pandemic operating levels.(they just released schedule’s for the the early part of 2024 that show that the planned reinstatement of the schedule to be on forecast).

Qantas already announced that it was returning to the previous Sydney – HKG schedule -the problem it seems was shortage of available aircraft and why the A350 appeared the route for about 6 weeks.

The airport authority pay better and appear to have no significant labour issues
    Given that workers are available the airlines that employ them it seems are just going to need to pay more in order to entice workers back.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

I have to say that since COVID, i have always found HKIA very efficient and a speedy process (although some gates seem miles away but that is the same at any major airport).

On the whole, i do not think I have waited more than a few minutes for check in – actually the worst was BA where despite being gold, it was about 20 minutes but the issue is that they have 2 flights within 10 minutes of each other. Cathay for one world emerald is amazing for check in and JAL was also very good.

I findd heathrow chaotic but i do think that the First check in for BA T5 and going straight into the lounge is one of the best anywhere (not the quality of the lounge and the chaos).

Sometimes, I find the initial stage going through security a bit of a madhouse as the different signs are confusing and depending if you are a HK ID holder or not and also some other scheme which i don’t really follow. However, the screening of hand luggage etc is usually efficient and takes less than 5 minutes as multiple lanes open and i always find the staff friendly.

For arrivals, i think HK is one of the best airports in the world. It is so quick with a HK ID card to just scan and you are through in seconds – contrast this with the UK where with a UK passport there are queues for the e gates and then often they do not work and you join another queue. I recall even before i had a HK ID that HK was very efficient.

As for luggage delivery, it is also one of the best as there are not the delays v European and US airports. On Cathay, there is minimal to no wait (same as HK Airlines or Qatar). BA a bit slower at about 10 minutes but that is good for them!

So i am surprised with the lack of resource and also if Qantas complained as Sydney is atrocious v HK. HK airport – departing and arriving is one of the most pleasant experiences of any airport i have been to.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls