HKG Airport Express train mobile app…

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is their an official mobile app for the HKG airport express so I can buy ticket pre arrival from HKG to Kowloon.

I downloaded KLOOK – are they as good as any..?

travelsforfun
    Participant

It appears the answer is yes:
    http://www.mtrmobileapp.com/en/other-function.php

Alternatively, you can order online and then use a QR code from your mobile:
    http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/buy_tickets/payment_method.html

stevescoots
    Participant

or use your octopus card, I know you travel to HKG a lot Martyn so I assume you have one?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I just charge-up my Octopus card when I walk towards the airport express and that’s that.

Use it for small purchases in 7-1 shops as well.

stevescoots
    Participant

and buses and a small number of taxis now

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=895684] Use it for small purchases in 7-1 shops as well.[/quote]

And any supermarket, every ferry, the MTR, and other places too – I just keep mine charged up with HK$1000. And anyone over 65 can get a Senior’s Octopus card, for discounts on the buses and MTR.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Good point – I see I wrote 7-1 instead of 7-11 !

It was very late.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m having a wee chuckle to myself, because the 7/11 has become an arrival ritual .
    Clear customs head straight to the 7/11 , buy a couple of Tsing Tao’s and top up my Octopus at the same time, ready for the DB bus .
    saves time in the official queue.
    A very civilized way to arrive back in the 3rd best city in the world.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=895835] …7/11 has become an arrival ritual … head straight to the 7/11 , buy a couple of Tsing Tao’s … A very civilized way… [/quote]

You’re just like me! We’re civilized… I love arriving in Hong Kong, and a bottle of Tsingtao is a wonderful jetlag cure

Chris in Makati
    Participant

As others have said, an Octopus card is the most convenient because once you’ve got credit on it you can use it to pay for just about all transport in Hong Kong, as well as other purchases such as convenience store, McDonald’s etc.

But if you buy through Klook or similar you can get quite substantial discounts on Hong Kong Express tickets from the airport. For example, a one way ticket from the airport to Hong Kong Station costs HK$110 using an Octopus card, but you can get it on Klook for HK$75.

FlorianFlyer
    Participant

As others have said, Octopus is generally the way to go. I don’t know these Klook people. However, if there are two or more people travelling together it can often be cheaper buying at the counter in HKIA. Often have promotions and the like. Also, young children with Octopus cards often (perhaps always?) travel for free.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls