Hilton Hhonors upgrades.

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

rferguson
    Participant

Hey all just a quick Q.

I have Hilton Honors Gold and when I book Hiltons for travel I usually just book the best available price and then get upgraded to an executive floor or such at check in.

Im soon to stay at a Hilton Resort that has many many variations and categories of rooms in different buildings and with different views etc.

My question is does Hilton upgrade Golds (subject to availability) from a chosen category to the next? For example, if I book the best available rate, I tend to be upgraded to an executive floor room. But if I book an Executive Floor room from the outset will Hilton likely upgrade me to a higher category still?

Thanks!

Gold-2K
    Participant

I have a diamond card and have been upgraded a number of times from an exec room to a junior suite. Always subject to availability of course. Staying at a Hilton resort last year however I was told I was not eligible for a room upgrade, although to be fair we were already in the second largest suite in the resort and the next one up was like a 4 bedroom house!!!! There does seem to be a slight variation in rules at the Hilton Resorts so worth checking the details on each location.

superchris
    Participant

yes Hilton do upgrade you to the next category. In my normal HIlton if I want a suite I book an exec room, if Im happy with an exec room I book a standard room and 95% of the time I get the nod at check in. For the resorts with so many categories, I would probably job a line to the hotel GM or front desk pointing out your preference and asking nicely if they can accommodate!

Enjoy!

SwissExPat
    Participant

Am diamond and had a good chat with some of the more experienced check in staff a few months ago…..

Yes they will try to give you one better class room but conceded that if you do book exec here may be very few suites available and hence you could miss out.

Given that there is often a huge price difference between the cheapest room and the exec floor rooms, they agreed that the best strategy for diamonds was to book cheapest room available at booking and rely on the often 3-4 levels of upgrade to an exec level room. (Assuming the hotel offers Base room, superior, deluxe, exec, junior suite , full suite, presidential suite)

Why go from 3 to 4 or 4-5 when you can go 1 to 4 and save a packet?

(Golds can often benefit from this but exec lounge access is not granted if you don’t get an exec room upgrade)

Senator
    Participant

As a Diamond VIP I normally book cheapest and get Exec equivalent upgrades 95% of the time. Some cases, I get the real perks:
    Presidential Suites, but rarely for stays longer then one night with the exception of a lovely three day stay at the Dubrovnik Hilton Presidential Suite complementary on the house

The best deal was in August, when I had 1 + 4 nights booked at the Waldorf in NYC. I was upgraded to Park Ave Suite, and when I told them I was staying for four more nights I was allowed to keep the room at a rate around $250 a night..

Only dismal experience was at the Hilton Euston, being stuck in the Single Room I had booked for £80.. Was happy to get out…

rferguson
    Participant

Guys thanks for the replies.

The resort I am planning to stay at is Hilton Hawaiian Village. So there are many many different categories of rooms in different towers – I guess corner rooms or a higher floor or particular aspect may constitute an ‘upgrade’ also.

Am I equally entitled to the upgrade if I book through a third party website (expedia). I actually went through the T&C’s of Hhonors and while it states that one won’t earn points for stays booked through third parties it doesn’t mention any rules regarding this for the ‘benefits’ of the Gold Card.

I booked through Expedia when I visited Cape Town earlier in the year and had no problem at all receiving an upgrade at check in.

The difference for the 5 night stay booking direct with Hilton versus Expedia is about one hundred pounds for the same category.

flying_sikh
    Participant

I am a Gold member and was recently upgraded from the best available rate for a std room booked to Exec Level. Both at Conrad Centennial-Singapore and Hilton Kuala Lumpur. I strongly agree with SwissExpat where he mentioned to have a chat with senior member of staff at check-in as they have more authority and knowledge to assign you better rooms.

SwissExPat
    Participant

In the very rare event as a DIamond that you don’t get any upgrade (this has happened me maybe once in 20 stays “due to being full”)… I usually say that this is all very disappointing and suggest that perhaps some additional amenity be placed in my non upgraded room “as a gesture of goodwill to such a loyal Hilton member”…

Usually results in a bottle of wine or chocoates etc…..

olliewb
    Participant

Normally the website for the Hilton Resort in question advises whether upgrades are possible with Gold/Diamond.

I recall staying at the Hilton Maldives (now Conrad) and Gold did NOT entitle you to an upgrade where available. However by flashing the card they certainly looked after us, I agree if you can find the right person at check-in with authority, they will tend to look after you.

judynagy
    Participant

We spent 5 nights at HHV over Christmas 2011. The hotel was sold out, there must have been 150 people milling around the checkin desks, our lady moved heaven and earth to put us in a corner room with TWO balconies in the original Rainbow Tower, even as a Diamond I didn’t expect such an incredible room. The diamond private breakfast area was OK, but breakfast downstairs alot more interesting. Try to arrive about 2pm and BE SWEET, those front desk people can make you really happy.

judynagy
    Participant

We spent 5 nights at HHV over Christmas 2011. The hotel was sold out, there must have been 150 people milling around the checkin desks, our lady moved heaven and earth to put us in a corner room with TWO balconies in the original Rainbow Tower, even as a Diamond I didn’t expect such an incredible room. The diamond private breakfast area was OK, but breakfast downstairs alot more interesting. Try to arrive about 2pm and BE SWEET, those front desk people can make you really happy.

judynagy
    Participant

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls