Hilton Executive Lounges Closing Permanently

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• dam
    Participant

In the light of events in Ukraine it really is of no great importance but has anyone else noticed that Hilton seemed to have permanently closed their executive lounges. I’ve stayed many times at the Hilton Holland Park and enjoyed the lounge experience and found the staff very helpful. A receptionist informed me today that the lounge is permanently shut and is now a meeting room. I got two, yes two drinks vouchers as a Diamond member which is what I got during the Covid shutdown which I appreciated as the lounge was closed. I gather the Hilton at Olympia now has a similar policy. I’m of the opinion that the lounges are sacrificed as they cost whereas meeting rooms generate income but what should HHDM do in future, as always any advice or comments helpful.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

The Hilton London Tower Bridge executive lounge had recently re-opened when I stayed there mid-November 2021. At that time it was only open reduced hours in the evening. May be it’s a hotel specific decision whether executive lounges continue.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dam

rogernorwich
    Participant

If that is the situation as it seems to be in the USA now then very little point in sticking with Hilton we may as well just get the best deal available from any supplier. Loyalty is a 2 way process so unless they reverse this trend then ADIOS Hilton Honors! I just stayed at the Hilton in SFO and the cash credit meant to compensate for the lack of lounge facility didn’t cover more than a sandwich and a coffee in their overpriced shop.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1205351]Loyalty is a 2 way process[/quote]

I agree 100% with the above statement.

I am a traveller who benefits from hotel lounges from my favoured hotel and group (Westin and Bonvoy) and I have missed the lounges both in BKK and Malta. However, the fallout from covid and now the conflict, I accept some hotels can not afford the levels of benefit, previously given to their loyal customers. Take Malta a few weeks ago, I was being charged Euros 100 per night and the lounge was still closed. Would I walk away – NO. I think it is important for guests to remain loyal to their regular hotels and service providers – in good and bad times.

During the midst of the pandemic and whilst Thailand was closed, I purchased a quantity of pre paid rooms at ca. 40% below my normal rate. When I went to BKK in December, my favoured work position in the exec lounge remained closed. I accepted the hotel could not afford to keep it open after 2 hard years. My next trip in a few weeks, I believe the lounge has reopened – but if it hasn’t, no fuss, there is always somewhere else in the hotel where I can work and see clients.

The bigger benefit for me was that both hotels indeed survived.

Yes, loyalty is definitely a 2 way process – both in good times with all the additional benefits and in bad times to help support the hotel get back on it’s feet.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I presume dam meant the Hilton Kensington on Holland Park Avenue.
    It is a pity if the Exec lounge has closed permanently as I spent upwards of 450 stays in the hotel and made several permanent friends who were also regulars in the lounge.
    The treatment I received from hotel staff and management was outstanding as they treated me as a member of the “family”. If I knew how to do it I would attach the photos of the decorations in the President’s Suite for my 400th stay.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1205365]

Its good for you Martyn if the Exec Lounge is closed you can prop the bar as you alway did 🙂 now genuinely

Brouthe
    Participant

Hilton Worldwide Inc. announced that it would close its executive lounges at airports around the world, including New York’s JFK International Airport and San Francisco International Airport.

The announcement comes after news this week that the company plans to cut its workforce by 7 percent.

In addition to the airport closures, Hilton said it intends to reduce its workforce by 7 percent through voluntary departures. As part of the restructuring effort, the company said it was reducing marketing spending, closing some hotels and canceling events like golf tournaments. It also said it planned to sell off a small portfolio of real estate assets.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dam

jsn55
    Participant

It is seriously awful to envision ‘the Hilton’ without an Exec Lounge. But frankly, I’ve wondered for years how they managed to keep them open and staffed with good people. (Small business owners think this way, you know.) When we’re travelling for leisure, we usually have our ‘dinner’ in the Lounge. On top of the costs of the lounge itself, there’s the loss of revenue that we would generate at the restaurant for that dinner. Now that the virus is given as an excuse for anything and everything, I’m not surprised to read this. The next ten years will be very interesting for frequent travellers.

rogernorwich
    Participant

Well it should not be too difficult for Hilton to analyse how closing the lounges will effect them as they will just need to look at their past and future numbers at each hotel regarding Hilton Honors users.
    As an example for years I used to stay dozens of nights in a year between the Hilton Olympia and the Hilton Kensington in London which have closed their lounges permanently.I didn’t stay because the hotels and rooms are particularly nice and in fact they are quite mediocre but the lounges were fairly decent and provided a useful and convenient space to meet with colleagues and relax. Now with the lounges closed I have absolutely no incentive to stay at either of those properties ever again so on balance I would say that closure of lounges must be a home goal. Maybe in time they will re-visit the idea.

7 users thanked author for this post.

dutchyankee
    Participant

There is no stated policy from Hilton with regard to their executive lounges closing, and I have been to numerous properties in recent months where the lounges were open, or planned to be reopened. It is very much a property based decision, usually driven by occupancy stabilization post-pandemic, but definitely not global policy.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have a Platinum Accor level, and the one benefit i always look for and enjoy, is the privacy of the Lounges.
    We discussed how Hotel loyalties were being eroded pre pandemic, and the main benefits people stated were the room upgrade late early check out and in, and the Exec Lounges!

Accor having become a holding Company after UAE and Chinese investmentor came in. They aquired Raffles ( terrific service going there with my Accor level!!!), Movenpick, Swissotel, Fairmont, Mantra (Australia…etc). Many other hotels became a graded brand and others bookable on the platform of Accor listed.
    So they are cash rich, and have plenty Hotel chains.

I know lounges like Airlines were closed, but in re-opening, they have service to you at yr table, rather than a move around Buffet, which in Covid eras, is a hazard.
    I had the benefit of taking a trip to Vancouver in October, and chose a Fairmont, which actually was pretty awful in any benefits. They wanted money for a glass of wine and the offerings were basic at best. But they had your certifications at check in of vaccinations, and PCR results. This gave you “All Access” and the locals had a Covid pass system on their mobile phones or a certificate to scan.
    Gel was placed before you entered the lounge and before and after you used the very tiny offerings and soft drinks or at breakfast. You wore a mask when standing up and moving, and around the hotel.
    Service of drinks and cooked items were taken and brought to the table.

I know several GM’s in the Accor World from Australia to Amsterdam, and they all found ways of keeping extras going, even if that was things brought to your room, even room service breakfasts!
    So it Is possible if screening is done on check in, and precautions taken, though the “Death of the buffet” as mentioned on here before remains.

But i agree with you all, that Our Loyalty means There’s also, and if it is not reciprocated i would simply move Hotel chains and loyalty programs.
    I do expect a lounge and it should be notified if it ir removed prior to booking. Failing that i would insist the benefits are brought to the room in full, and having seen it done as above, i would contradict it is on covid but economic grounds to the hotel.
    They are self defeating if they think we will put up with it and stay.

And don’t forget those high level rooms and “Club Floors” that gain huge extras and revenues for a hotel, would they remove those too?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve used the Hilton Executive lounges in Europe and the US, and found the ones in Europe to be very pleasant, with free breakfast, drinks and snacks in the evening. I stopped using the ones in the US (mainly New York) as guests would destroy the buffet loading their plates (sometimes carrying two plates) to the extent that items would fall off from buffet to seat. It was so unpleasant I stopped using them there.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1208675]

I stayed in a Hilton in NYC (can’t remember which) once, and a couple walked in to the Exec Lounge, stood by the buffet of evening canapes, and proceeded to eat every single one! Didn’t bother with plates, just went serving dish to mouth!!

AlanOrton1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1208681]

This most definitely is not just restricted to Hilton lounges in the US!
    Hotels sell passes or upgrades to rooms with club access, and just like in paid for airport lounges, some folk like to ensure they get their moneys worth.
    Feeding time at the zoo…

6 users thanked author for this post.

Mister SB
    Participant

I’ve pretty much given up chasing status for exactly that reason. To quote a good friend “They no longer reward loyalty…”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls