Higher APD for Gatwick & Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Bucksnet
    Participant

BGIWorldTraveller
    Participant

A stupid proposal in my view as well. But such is life under the Tories.

Edski777
    Participant

The real question is: how incompetent do you have to be to become a minister in this Tory cabinet?
    They don’t even consider tackling the real problem: the lack of capacity at LHR and LGW. This stupid idea is only benefiting the competition on the continent.
    What is the rational idea behind this? Time for a new, more sensible, cabinet?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Time to purge the Common Purpose ‘graduates’ from the government at all levels, not just the cabinet.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

How government destroys business?

But here’s one for the lawyers. Surely APD between member states of the EU should be made illegal? It is a hindrance for citizens to travel freely between one member state and the other and especially in the case of the UK where connections to the continent are limited to air, sea and train from a limited number of points.

Edski777
    Participant

The government is not destroying business, they are outsourcing to AMS, FRA and CDG. This has been happening for a number of years now. And more and more passengers are beginning to like it.
    Raising the APD for LHR and LGW would just be another step.

It is another way of “solving” a problem if you lack the ability to come up with more sensible ideas.

Capetonian
    Participant

Good point, LP, someone should test this is court.

Increasing APD, as with any other form of tax increase, is ultimately unproductive as it makes it worthwhile for people to find ways to avoid paying the tax.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I already have made my choice.

I am not paying ridiculous taxes to The British Government, alongside the excessive charges levied for security, Airport charges, and fuel surcharges.

I use Amsterdam as my hub.
    I can fly there from multiple airports in or around London, and save several Hundred £’s immediately.
    No wonder KLM, and Schiphol are ever expanding, and they deserve the British Airport’s business.

They certainly now have mine. Many others i know are following, and more will with KLM expanding connections from all over the UK,for the customers benefit.
    Schiphol already provides an excellent service far outstripping anything that the UK has to offer.

The Government are short sighted, greedy and foolish. It is not a question of business could be lost, it has been, is, and will continue to be shed.

Bucksnet
    Participant

It’s not that the government are short sighted, it’s deliberate.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

To be fair to the coalition (not that I feel too fair towards any politico) the mess left by the previous lot is so big and stinky that they are scrabbling to collect tax from anywhere.

It is harmful in the longer term, but all of my life has witnessed short termism by UK government and big business, so no change there, then.

canucklad
    Participant

Edski. …. Love your sarcasm.

Bucksnet…. Ad I’ve mentioned before your theories on life seem to become more realistic with each and every passing day!

Marcus you’re the Wallace rebel. As I’ve mentioned before . If we all start flying from elsewhere it won’t take long for an APD rethink !

Unfortunately , we British have the testuclar fortitude of a lemon merangue pie. We’re totally compliant and as always deal with a new tax with a shrug of the shoulders and a ” how’s your father? ” Attitude

Oh.beforre I finsh formerlyDOS. You are totatlly t right. To gather votes they did what needed to be done to stauy in power . It doesn’t take a genius to work out if tories where there the same thing if not warse would have happened and worse. The disadvantged would have recived squat all.

Let’s not be hypocrites here. We would be 4pain right now. If Barclays had won their batle with RBS

APD = apathetic paying dimwits

Bucksnet
    Participant

Thank you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls