Heathrow today 30/3/12

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

The OP was in T3, I would guess the latest poster was in T5 (the reference to south security and the Elemis spa rather give it away) so hardly the same experience and not really a fair comparison.

You might reasonably expect a different experience.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Well pointed out LPPS, LHR can be a very different experience depending on the terminal you are using. Given that T3 is the oldest terminal in current use and T5 is the newest you would reasonably expect there to be differences.

The later post at 12.10 reads more like an opportunity to promote BA F service rather than an experience of the terminal even thought there is no reference to BA above other than that the OP says they were holding up well.

VintageKrug
    Participant

“The later post at 12.10 reads more like an opportunity to promote BA F service”

That’s an odd statement as I wasn’t flying BA F.

The thread states “Heathrow”, castigating the whole airport, on the basis of a person who wasn’t even flying, and doing so evidencing T3 which is known to those familiar with the airport to be the worst of the four terminals currently operating, so hardly indicative of the whole airport.

I’m one of the fiercest critics of BAA, and have no doubt that the Olympics will be chaotic.

But it’s also valid that one the very same day, a passenger was able to have a stress-free journey through LHR and that a posting which seemed primarily to be dissatisfied with “TUBE” service (which has nothing to do with BAA/LHR) from someone who wasn’t actually travelling should be balanced by a first hand experience from someone who was actually travelling.

There’s too much doing down of Heathrow; it’s not perfect, but to give credit to BAA where they’ve had an opportunity to refurbish and build terminals, they’ve done alright, given the constraints of the site. Heathrow is better in many ways than a lot of the many airports I visit every year.

Friday and Saturday were some of the busiest travelling days of the year, and while inevitably there will have been some pinchpoints at an airport full to capacity and with a large part of the terminal area under construction, I don’t think it’s fair to suggest the whole of Heathrow was unpleasant to experience. It wasn’t.

For those reading this from abroad who may be put off travelling via LHR it’s important to provide some balance.

RichHI1
    Participant

I have not the underground at LHR for many many years as I do not live in Underground coverage area. I have used HEX which is a mess as T5 and T4 are not linked and passengers have to wait and change at T1-3. I have also walked from T1 to T3 when availability opened on AA whilst at airport. It was badly signposted and dirty. They have spent a lot of money remodelling the front of T3 but not much on the subways. Ironically the new front means that you get wet now unless you are dropped off in the parking lot and you walk past gaggles of amokers standing round the doors. I wish they would cover the drop off zones again and provide a smoking room in the forecourt. Banning smokers from. Being 20 yds from any doorway. Smokers have rights but so do those of us who dislike cigarette smoke.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I think F check in and the Elemis spa are both elements of BA F service. I know I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong.

Perhaps I misjudged the significance of the F element and should have said that the post was more like a promotion of BA service rather than relevant to the topic which is about the experience of LHR.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It would be far safer for thread headings to be more specific.

Rich, agree with you 100% about smokers rights. Best place for smokers to smoke is in their own homes, not an entrance to a public building.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls