Heathrow T1

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

JeremyWood
    Participant

Was back in T1 at the end of last week (for what must have been the first time since BA moved out to T5) en route to Dublin from ABZ and back – and I have to say I’d forgotten just what an unpleasant place it is – from the gates 74+ pier through the flight connections place and points in between.

Does anyone know if it is planned to be demolished and rebuilt once Terminal 2 work is completed?

ImissConcorde
    Participant

As far as I know the plan is to open the Heathrow East replacement for Terminal 2. Once open T1 will be demolished and airlines will move to Heathrow East.

https://londonist.com/2009/08/pictures_of_heathrow_terminal_east.php

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14782&page=6

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

It is ghastly, I agree.

BAA (or Heathrow Airport Limited as they now are) are keeping rather quiet about what happens to T1 after the opening of T2.

I gather that the current plan is to knock down about half of T1 and then extend T2 on to the vacated land. That will see the end of the flight connections centre but the awful gates used by Air lingus and Lufthansa (74+) will remain

Once this is done (think 2016), the rest of T1 will be razed and T2 will be extended further.

At some point, T2C (the second satellite) will also be built but I have no idea when.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ JeremyWood – 14/11/2012 15:53 GMT
    @ ImissConcorde – 14/11/2012 16:39 GMT
    @ HedgeFundFlyer – 14/11/2012 20:30 GMT

The most coherent explanation I have come across is from the FT dated 17 Feb 2012 in an article entitled “Milestone for Heathrow Terminal 2 revamp”

Apparently, the planned opening of the first phase of T2 (LHR East) redevelopment is in 2014.

At that point, and taken together with Terminal 5, which opened in 2008, it should mean that some two-thirds of the 69million passengers then forecast to be using Heathrow each year will be going through modernised facilities “fit for the 21st century”.

Terminal 1, which opened in 1968, is to be demolished at some point after 2014, as part of a planned expansion of Terminal 2, which is expected to cost £4.5bn and be finished by 2019.

Under BAA’s plan for Heathrow for the period to 2030, Terminal 3, which opened in 1961, could also be demolished to make way for additional buildings linked to Terminal 2. And Terminal 5 could increase its satellites from two to four (T5D & T5E).

For passengers, it should eventually be a less confusing experience, because five terminals could become three or even two – depending on whether Terminal 4 stays.

So, expect the blokes in donkey jackets, hi-vis vests and Kerr hard-hats to be around for some time to come then.

Interestingly, I also see that the Qatar Sovereign Wealth fund bought some 20% of Heathrow’s equity (and two places on the board) for £900M in August 2012. The Ferrovial lead consortium’s 2006 purchase of BAA’s equity for a then eye-watering £10.4Bn continues to saddle BAA with a mountain of borrowings – its net debt stood at £11.6bn at 30 June 2012.

But this year BAA is paying a dividend of £240m to its parent shareholders for the first time since the takeover and it hopes to make regular distributions in future. So, it will be interesting to see how Heathrow manages simultaneously to invest in rebuilding the airport, pay down debt and distribute dividends – all this in a regulated pricing environment…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls